#172245  by lbpesq

franklins_timmy wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:22 am Have been thinking about wiring my Strat like Alligator. What dual pot would I need to get? I don't see any 250k/250k dual pots.

Just google "250K dual pot". There are lots available from many sources.

Bill, tgo
 #172255  by Jon S.

This is the rare case of someone complaining because he HASN'T gotten the shaft!
lbpesq liked this
 #172256  by lbpesq

franklins_timmy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:56 am I did search & didn't find many options. That is why I went ahead & asked here. Yet to find a split shaft, they have all been solid shaft.

Alligator used old Ratheon knobs which mount with a set screw. You can still find them at a reasonable price and, IIRC, someone is making new copies. Being that I used the Ratheon knobs on my Alligator, I didn’t look for split shaft pots.

Bill, tgo
franklins_timmy liked this
 #172289  by franklins_timmy

Another question for anyone who has wired the neck & bridge pickups to the same tone control with a jumper or dual pot. How does it effect the tone in the inbetween positions? Never been a big fan of the neck/middle position on a Strat, kind of dull & muffled sounding. If I understand correctly, it has to do with two tone controls being on at the same time amounting to too much of a load. Also have heard that wiring more than one pickup in a Strat to a tone control sucks the highs, even more so in the inbetween positions. Admittedly I could be confused or wrong. Wanted to check if anyone had these issues before I went ahead with having it done. Don't want to lose highs or have the middle/bridge position sound dull like the neck/middle. Or does using the dual pot make this a non issue? Thanks
 #172311  by Chocol8

Dual pot will get you two paths to ground for the highs so, yes, the in between positions will give you the same frequency cut as if you used a capacitor with twice the value.

A single master tone control will not have this problem. It will bleed the same in all positions. I take it a step further and use no load tone pots. That lets me take the tone cap out of the circuit completely. JG had things pretty bright elsewhere in the chain, so the rollback of the highs from the tone control was probably a good thing.