#166140  by Poor Peter

Hello all. As the title says I’m in need of some sage advice or educated guesses as to what might be going on with my mosvalve. I have constant static. Like a dirty pot on a guitar. However, unlike a dirty pot on a guitar where u can sometimes find a sweet spot that’s quiet , this static never goes away. It seems to be coming from the gain knob although I’m not entirely certain of that. I can wiggle it back and forth without actually turning it up a notch and here the static gain and lose intensity. But it never goes away. I’m way south of the Chicago burbs and finding anyone to look at it with even the slightest air of confidence has proved to be futile. I welcome any thoughts or suggestions please.
 #166141  by tntawney

Try contacting Andy Fields. He worked for Genz Benz and used to have NOS of the pots. I would swap the gain pot out and see if it fixes the problem.

Genz.benz.service@gmail.com
 #166147  by Poor Peter

I’ve have not cleaned the pots yet. I emailed Genz Benz and Andy answered almost immediately. He told me to use one product and one product only to attempt to clean them. Of course I don’t not have that product. Deoxit D-5. He also believes he may have the gain pots. I just need to send him a picture to make sure. I’ll report back. Awesome dude tho.
 #166152  by Gr8fulCadi

Get some deoxit d5 or F5 (actually both) I prefer F5 on pots and things mechanical because not only does it clean, but it lubricates too. This is important for the moving parts, ie pots or faders etc. There’s a lot of discussion on which Dexoit to use where. Again on pots, I like F5. Sometimes I use D5 and finish with the F5.

Take the bottom or top off to gain access to the pots. There should be a tiny square opening, spray inside and work the pot fully, back in forth several times. This needs to be done maybe once or twice a year.
 #166168  by Poor Peter

Thanks very much all. I truly appreciate the suggestions. I ordered the deoxit and as luck would have it , Andy Fields also had nos pots for it. Great guy btw. Thanks tntawney for leading me to him. Hopefully I’m back in business soon.