#166866  by zkinard

Mine showed up on Friday and it's beautiful to me. I haven't had a chance to really sit and play it at length but preliminary judgements are great. Looks and feels wonderful. Fretboard is smooth and fast. I'll need to have it set up too. Curious if any other have any recommendations on how I should have it setup? Suggest away
 #166867  by jgraum

I took the back plate off and rolled back the trim pot on the pre-amp. The pickups were breaking up too much too early, for me, at least. Had a barky sound. Rolling it back cleaned them up a bit. Wiring looks good in the cavity. Clean. Also raised the action a slight bit for more bounce.
 #166869  by Abide

jgraum wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:31 am I took the back plate off and rolled back the trim pot on the pre-amp. The pickups were breaking up too much too early, for me, at least. Had a barky sound. Rolling it back cleaned them up a bit. Wiring looks good in the cavity. Clean. Also raised the action a slight bit for more bounce.
Got mine as well. Haven't had much of a chance to sit dow with, but first impressions are great.

Just out of curiosity, how did the brass pieces on your wolf look? The brass on the selector switch had a tiny little mark. It's really nothing, but it's slightly bumming mw out. I'm curious if brass is typically susceptible to this kind of thing. Thanks!
 #166872  by WilliamC

I'm curious if brass is typically susceptible to this kind of thing. Thanks!
Brass is not an especially hard alloy. For comparison brass (depending on the exact composition) has a Brinell hardness of around 100, lead about 30 and tool steel 600+.

So...

if the mark is bugging you even a little , I've found Mike is quick to reply through their website's messaging feature. I'd just mention the issue and ask if they could send out a fresh one.

As mentioned above, I also rolled the pre-amp back a bit. I have a hunch it was set to the +10dB that the Dozin page indicates the original had.

Now I have to cycle through all my DIY effects to figure out which work best... Mrs. C is already tired of hearing the Estimated intro just dialing in the DIY Snow White.
 #166898  by Budman

Have any of you had time to dial in your guitar and play it enough to give a good opinion?
 #166959  by pula58

zkinard wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:52 am Mine showed up on Friday and it's beautiful to me. I haven't had a chance to really sit and play it at length but preliminary judgements are great. Looks and feels wonderful. Fretboard is smooth and fast. I'll need to have it set up too. Curious if any other have any recommendations on how I should have it setup? Suggest away
Agreed, the preamp is too hot....I will need to open mine up and turn the gain down.
A very nice guitar all in all through...I love the split middle pickup sound!
 #167658  by claytushaywood

I just saw these!!! The pics posted in this thread look wayyyy better than Eastwood’s. They do such a bad job with photography.

I am actually running a music shop now and I’m an Eastwood dealer. If anyone on here wants to help support a fellow dead head small business owner. I can have Eastwood drop ship directly to you. Or I can ship it to me and I’ll set it up proper (I’ve done about 500 electric setups in the past two years) and I can even install a real stratoblaster clone (not saying Eastwood’s isn’t exact) OR a real jerry tiger preamp (I could probably even through both in there with a 3 way tiger,wolf, bypass preamp toggle switch) that’s for you to decide though. (Maybe even put a wolf sticker on it and spray a clear coat over it?)

How are you all liking them! I still haven’t played one? I don’t carry many Eastwood’s at my shop because they don’t force me to order tons of them or incentivize ordering quantity for retail stock. But I’ve gotten on the list for a wolf and a trey is on order. Did you all see the Ibanez bob weir model coming out? Eastwood’s picture is horrible of course.

Are you all still liking them? Anyone mod the bridge?
 #171117  by BugsonMckenzie

I've been using my Eastwood Customs Wolf for a year now. It is, a dream. Full hippy sandwich, it's got the racing stripes (I had to put a OG wolf sticker on it, I just had to....) But it's not a burl.... doesn't have those patterns in the wood (which was my favorite part about Wolf) but if they used that wood it would probably run 3k+. Anyway, the sound is a freakin dream, don't let the "complexity" of the build confuse you, I got used to it in a day. My fender champ 50 amp is just about perfect for this guitar and it's effects functions. Way too much in this thread for me to respond to at this moment, but ask and I shall respond. NFA
Chocol8 liked this
 #171118  by lbpesq

Hi, Bugson, and welcome to the club. Good to hear you are enjoying your Wolf. There are many different versions of this wonderful guitar. The original wasn’t a burl wood. It was Quilted Maple. That was the part that first drew me to Wolf as my favorite Jerry guitar. When I bought myself a custom Alembic Further as my 50th B-day present to myself, I personally picked out the Quilted Maple for my top from the wood pile at Alembic. I love the 3D look.

Bill, tgo
 #171119  by BugsonMckenzie

Thank you for that! I always thought it was a burl... but yeah, the pattern is what always attracted me. When I heard about the Tiger being made I was a little upset, but now I'm VERY happy I went with the Wolf.... I personally like how it's dialed in out the box, I feel it should be a bit "barky", which shines imo when using distortion in any way... I am gonna fiddle with the effects loop sometimes in the near future, maybe dial it back a bit, but for now I see no reason.
 #171126  by TI4-1009

Welcome! My take on Wolf. Quilted maple- yum!

BugsonMckenzie liked this