#164217  by tcsned

I have been trying to pin down a microphonic feedback issue in my Wolf and to a lesser extent in my Franken-Tele. I had a Barden Two-Tone humbucker lying around and installed it in my Scartlet Fire Wolf (middle position). I love the pickups. I have a set in my Warmoth WGD and have played Strats and Teles with Bardens. They're powerful, clean, and bright. I can hear differences between the Barden and the DiMarzios. I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep and replace the rest of the pickups with Bardens or put the DiMarzio back in. My initial impression is that I like it better with overdrive/distortion, sounds great with the MuTron and phase/chorus/flange effects. The humbucker clean tone is awesome. I'm not totally sold on the coil tapped tone clean. It's great for strumming chords but single note stuff doesn't seem to be as crisp and the coil split DiMarzio. Here's a clip:
MikeMcA liked this
 #164225  by Jon S.

Looks like a fun gig! How did you do the videoing - very cool effect.
tcsned liked this
 #164230  by tcsned

Jon S. wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:30 am Looks like a fun gig! How did you do the videoing - very cool effect.
It's a plugin for Adobe Premiere - Red Giant Toonit. It's kinda pricey but my department at Radford University has a nice video lab. Even on a badass computer with 64GB of RAM it took 2.5 days to render and publish the 19 minute video.
 #164231  by milobender

I like the DP104s in the middle, but I currently have a Joe Barden in the bridge position, and it's really sweet. Similar to the clarity of the DiMarzios, but quite different in character and feel. I have mixed feelings about it in the Wolf/Tiger, I'll be putting the DP104 back in, but it'll go in a different guitar for sure.
tcsned liked this
 #164237  by tcsned

milobender wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 am I like the DP104s in the middle, but I currently have a Joe Barden in the bridge position, and it's really sweet. Similar to the clarity of the DiMarzios, but quite different in character and feel. I have mixed feelings about it in the Wolf/Tiger, I'll be putting the DP104 back in, but it'll go in a different guitar for sure.
Yeah, I'm gonna let it go for a bit, the more I listen to the recordings of it the more I like it. It's definitely different and not as Jerry-ish but it works I think. I will eventually put the Super II back in.

Question for you, Brian - I'm getting microphonic feedback from both my Wolf and the Tele you modded. It's less in the Tele. I'm having trouble pinpointing it though I've noticed that my redwood guitar with OBEL/buffer but without the brass pickup plate doesn't have the issue. Do you think the brass could be the source? Is there anything that can be done? I've tried pressing on the plates while it was feeding back and it didn't seem to make it go away. I've adjusted the Solar Flare's gain down to where it doesn't set it off but if you have any thoughts I would appreciate it. I haven't heard anyone else having the problem and there's a lot of folks using guitars like them and I doubt that I'm the loudest player out there . . . maybe :) or the use the heaviest distortion. Weird.
 #164242  by Gr8fulCadi

Do your pup adjustment screws have the springs or tubing? My Eagle does it only at high volume and a bit of drive. Super II’s as well. I have a piece of tubing to swap in for the springs but have not done it yet.
 #164244  by milobender

Yeah, I would try the tubing too. I've also heard of putting some foam between the back of the pup and the guitar. I've never had the problem... I can't imagine the brass is at fault, or there would be a deluge of people experiencing it.
Are you experiencing it at all types of settings with the guitars? Just blasters, just UGB, passive bypass?