#162101  by franklins_timmy

If JBL's were extinct... no more D, K, E's. No recones either. What would you use for Garcia tones?
-Weber Cali, NeoMag
-Purple Haze (too expensive)
-Peavey Black Widow (heavy)
-or something else, etc..

I know this has been talked about quite a bit. But the reason I ask is because I am looking for something that can give me respectable/in the ballpark Garcia tones. Most on here agree that a Fender tube amp can get you in the ballpark (Blues Jr., Deluxe Reverb, etc...). So what speaker/s can do ballpark Jerry? I do like the Weber Cali. But was hoping to find something that does Jerry cleans well and handles overdrive a bit better than the Cali. Have been talking to Weber, Eminence and Tone Tubby but I don't feel we are on the same page.
 #162102  by tcsned

I’m using Beyma Liberty and they have done me pretty well. They’re E120 clones. Not too terribly expensive
 #162103  by Gr8fulCadi

If you look at the specs of the Beyma liberty 8, they are about the closest you’ll get to a JBL E120. I have E’s, D’s and Beymas so I can personally say the beymas are more than ball park, they are damn near identical. Not 100% exact but 99.5%!!

I have two in like new condition!!
 #162105  by ac4468

Maybe a bit off topic but I'm intrigued but the Quilter Steelaire combo. It has a 15" speaker developed by Eminence with Quilter to emulate to D130, aluminium dome and all. It's available as an extension cab as well.
strumminsix liked this
 #162110  by franklins_timmy

Thanks for the replys fellas, appreciate it. I forgot to put the Beyma Liberty and Eminence Commonwealth in the mix. Personally don't want the weight of those either. That's why I was mentioning respectable/ballpark tone. The JBL's are where it's at and the Liberty or Commonwealth will get you damn close. So maybe what's the next best? I like the Cali alright but was looking for something different. Something that can get close/resemble Garcia cleans but handle overdrive better than the Cali.
 #162116  by strumminsix

ac4468 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:33 pm Maybe a bit off topic but I'm intrigued but the Quilter Steelaire combo. It has a 15" speaker developed by Eminence with Quilter to emulate to D130, aluminium dome and all. It's available as an extension cab as well.
Not off topic at all. When you think of the JG rig he was doing a lot of the same things the Steel players were doing. If I was a JG player looking for something off the beaten path I'd start there too.
tcsned liked this
 #162135  by Tennessee Jedi

Had a pair of the Neos in my cab but couldn't stand them - but thats just my experience

Currently running two Commonwealths and love them to death
 #162137  by ac4468

I have a 1x12 Commonwealth which is great but loud! I have 2 10" California's coming tomorrow for a new 2x10 truckers cabinet. Trying to find a lighter weight 2x cab. We'll see how that sounds.
 #162144  by franklins_timmy

ac4468 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:02 pm I have a 1x12 Commonwealth which is great but loud! I have 2 10" California's coming tomorrow for a new 2x10 truckers cabinet. Trying to find a lighter weight 2x cab. We'll see how that sounds.
Be interested in what you think of the Calis once you get them. I think they do a pretty good job, know others don't feel that way about them. I just wish they handled overdrive a bit better. That's why I started this, to see if anyone was getting decent Jerry tone with something different than the JBL copies, Webers, etc...
 #162147  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:55 pm Had a pair of the Neos in my cab but couldn't stand them - but thats just my experience

Currently running two Commonwealths and love them to death
They take a long time to break in.
 #162159  by ac4468

New 10" Cali's came in. Hopefully will have some time this weekend to test them out. I'm sure they will be overly bright but lets be honest. Can you really objectively evaluate a speaker when your blinded by those glorious shiny aluminum dust caps?

tcsned liked this
 #162348  by Pointclear

I love that 2x10 cab! I just got two new k-110’s to make a 2x10 ext can for my twin. I have a 2x10 fender concert that has a 10” e and k and I run it through an ext cab with 2x12 jbl e and k’s.
I think the mix of ten and twelve inch speakers is really really nice. The tens provide a quickness and articulation and the twelves provide smooth fullness and bass.
ac4468 liked this