#161936  by gratefulredhead

Here's where my rig has evolved to currently.
Aria Pro TS-600 guitar w/OBEL (customized to Tiger/Wolf hybrid by IO Custom Guitars)>'76 Mutron III>FYD preamp>Tubeworks Mosvalve MV962 power amp>JBL K120 and Weber Alnico Cali 12 in Avatar cab.
I'm really enjoying the FYD. It's done wonders for the clarity and cleanliness of my signal. The reverb is sublime too.
https://youtu.be/i6siIulj6iw
ac4468, kurt eye, MattMan and 2 others liked this
 #161937  by Jon S.

Very nice!

I feel the same about my FYD preamp (I also own a FYD JG Special Reverb combo - that one has a D120 in it which I find relatively "edgier"/piezo-ish, almost in a Voxy way, for lack of a better description).

Curious how you have your rig set up, e.g., are your FYD and Mosvalve together in a 4U rack?

I also use to own an Avatar 2X12 which I replaced first with an SSP 2X12 and then a pair of SSP 1X12s, one with a K, the other with an E (easier on my back).
 #161938  by gratefulredhead

Hey thanks man! I'd love to play through one of his combos someday, need to save up and get one as a small room amp. I've got my rig in an 8 unit rack case along with my Furman power conditioner, a rack-mount tuner, and a spare Moss valve Power Amp, just in case. It's a heavy fucker. It's worth it for the peace of mind though. then I just balanced out on top of my avatar cabinet which I just said on its side, but I need to do a little bit of customization to that cabinet by putting some rubber feet on the ends so that everything is a little more secure and less vibration ridden. Although what I'd really like to do is having somebody make me a 2 by 12, or better yet two 1 by 12's that are stackable possibly, made with wood more similar to a hard Truckers , and with an open back. The Avatar was a freebie and that counts for a lot in my world since I play music for a living. But it's too heavy and I can't help but think that it's massive dense heavy construction might not be affecting the tone somewhat negatively
 #161948  by Jon S.

gratefulredhead wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:08 pm... what I'd really like to do is having somebody make me a 2 by 12, or better yet two 1 by 12's that are stackable possibly, made with wood more similar to a hard Truckers , and with an open back.
That's exactly what Tracy at SSP did for me (to left, obviously - the cab on the right is a solid pine 2X10 cab by TRM). http://soundscaperproductions.com/

gratefulredhead liked this