#160677  by kurt eye

I finally got around to conducting an A/B test of my Carvin DCM200L vs MC-250. Some of these clips aren't the greatest, but all in all I think there is some decent material to compare the tonal essence of the 2 amps.

To my ear the Carvin is more articulate in the lows and mids, but has a tendency to sound thin in the highs. The MC-250 sounds a little muddier at times, almost like the difference between a single coil and humbucker, but really fattens the tone in a good way on clean highs. Compared to the Carvin the MC-250 imparts that mysterious "clean but dirty" vibe. After hearing this I think I'll use the "Bright" tone setting on the SMS when using the MC-250. I kept the guitar tone pot consistent at 8-ish but the Carvin could probably benefit from rolling off the tone to sound more like the McIntosh.

Notes:
The recording was done with a Tascam DR-05.
The test was conducted at a moderate volume
Troy post Wolf, Dimarzio Super II, SMS, JBL D-120 in Walnut Combo Box
SMS - typical Jerry settings with gain and output at 12 oclock, tone switch -middle
Guitar tone knob set at approx. 8
Boss Turbo OD-2 used on West LA Fadeaway
Boss Heavy Metal HM-2 used on Fire on the Mountain, Loser
tommybo liked this
 #160678  by Searing75

Thanks for this! I love both my Carvin DCM200L and my Mcintosh MC50. I use the Carvin simply because it’s much lighter and convenient. To me, they both sound great, and sooooo very similar. Both respond to pick dynamics identically, and that is the most important factor. I don’t notice the loss of treble with my MC50 like you do however? Has that 250 been gone over at all? All electrolytic caps should be changed. That alone brings back a bunch of low end snap and overall clarity.
 #160679  by kurt eye

Searing75 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:07 am Thanks for this! I love both my Carvin DCM200L and my Mcintosh MC50. I use the Carvin simply because it’s much lighter and convenient. To me, they both sound great, and sooooo very similar. Both respond to pick dynamics identically, and that is the most important factor. I don’t notice the loss of treble with my MC50 like you do however? Has that 250 been gone over at all? All electrolytic caps should be changed. That alone brings back a bunch of low end snap and overall clarity.
It was described as having the caps replaced when I bought it, but I should give it a thorough going through. Its possible the caps are causing my Mac to be a little muddy.
 #160686  by Jon S.

Searing75 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:07 am Thanks for this! I love both my Carvin DCM200L and my Mcintosh MC50. I use the Carvin simply because it’s much lighter and convenient. To me, they both sound great, and sooooo very similar. Both respond to pick dynamics identically, and that is the most important factor.
I also own both of these units. My take is similar to yours. Where I might differ slightly is I find my MC50 to be bit fatter sounding (more midrange) than my DCM200L. But the difference is not huge (and is minimized by not pushing in the Carvin's "EQ Expand" miniswitch). Caveat: My reactions are based on using both virtually always at less than half their capable volume (each is so loud, I just have never needed to run them hotter, even outdoors). I assume that, if cranked, their differences would be significantly more apparent.