#160598  by tommybo

as of now I run the power amp full on (carvin dcm200l) and I adjust my volume with my preamp (sms)- but I have heard the opposite also - is there a correct way ? or do both ways work ? curious to see how others run their rigs
 #160599  by milobender

It's all subjective, and a very dynamic relationship between the guitar volume, pre gain, and power. In general, for lower volumes, I like to hit the preamp as hot as possible. For louder volumes, start to go the other way, lower preamp, more power. You just have to experiment and see what sounds best with your gear. There are now hard and fast rules. :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #160601  by GeneralGoldilocks

For me personally, I like to have a set gain on the preamp, ie, use the same setting on the preamp all the time, mainly because it starts to get dirty on most fender style amps between 4 and 6 somewhere. I like to set it there, right where it gets starts to get dirty. I think it is about 1 oclock on the sms for me. Then set the power amp to the volume I need.
 #160607  by Searing75

I like the Carvin at around 10am, and then set the SMS at around 11am. I would prefer to raise the SMS to least 1pm, but if I lower the volume on the Carvin any more than where I use it, I start to clip the Carvin. Wow..........as I am typing this I just remembered the output gain on the back of the SMS. So, I will now try to raise the gain on the preamp, to get some grit, and then set the Carvin maybe at noon or so, and use the output gain on the back of the Carvin to control clipping. I’ll get back to you.
 #160613  by RiseandFall

Over simplified.....
Use the preamp gain for your tone.
Use the poweramp gain for your volume.
Agreed about the pre-amp. I run the power amp up to 85-90% and then use my guitar volume pot for final volume adjustments.
 #160614  by TI4-1009

Preamp is where the fun is.
Power section is where the loud is.
strumminsix liked this