#159336  by Blacklodgebob

The DCM stuff wasnt designed for guitar.

Its flat glassy staleness isnt somehow rectified by huge alnico speakers (ive tried a carvin pushing a k130), or by having fancy preamp tubes in the SMS, or whatever? it just doesnt get that "pushed" near clipping sound

The newest quilter block and portable power sounds much better with SMS JG pre's and other similar preamps like the FYD.

Just wanted to give a heads up, as people constantly looking for the portable jerry tone... Over the years the old gotos on this forum was the Carvin DCM200 > then people were raving about the Matrix 1u's; now near 2018, there are better options, and for far less money for those of us who want to go SS in the power section, for a more modern Jerry tone. Just checkout the newest releases of Quilter products.

Their amps are built for guitar, so low and behold, pushing a SMS into the return fx loop on the new OD quilter sounds great. Supposedly its had its power section tweaked to mimic the sound of hot transformers oozing saturation? You can dial back the headroom to keep things 'pushed', but essentially a hot clean for most room / cab situations. Maybe use D120's when your in bars and bump up to E's or D or K130's to pump up the juice... Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up, a bunch of their newer heads sound good for this use, and come in well under 400 bucks.

Not endorsing them as a full on Jerry amp, just the power section with a twin JG pre. They make them on rack shelves for those of you wanting to dump the carvin or put that back to use with the PA system :)

(sidebar: personally i prefer a more early 70's JG tone, so i use Redplate 1x12 combo amps, and have nothing but awesome things to say about the FYD JG 50w special combo - this post was obviously regarding getting that later modern Jerry tone usually associated with this Macs. I think most people would prefer the portable lightweight tube combo amp route as these amps are very flexible for other types of music without compromising on the JG settings)

** double edit - do not like the older quilter stuff. just the newest of the new from 2017.
Last edited by Blacklodgebob on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #159338  by Searing75

Well. I know that my Carvin DCM200L sounds terrific in my rig! Not glassy, flat, or stale. I have a twin and an MC50 to compare it to. I prefer it to the Twin, but feel it is a toss up with the McIntosh. Just offering another opinion here.
 #159339  by Blacklodgebob

Searing75 wrote:Well. I know that my Carvin DCM200L sounds terrific in my rig! Not glassy, flat, or stale. I have a twin and an MC50 to compare it to. I prefer it to the Twin, but feel it is a toss up with the McIntosh. Just offering another opinion here.
try to iso just the power sections - you should hear the twin makes it ooze a bit easier at decent volume - i dont know if you can get the carvin to almost clip - in other words your hearing your guitar + preamp + speakers and saying sounds great! and it probably does. but you gotta CRANK them to get into what im talking about

the quilter lets you essentially emulate the clipping of a decent power section - the carvin just makes your preamp louder

youll know its cooking when basically you guitar is easier to play, youve got more sustain, more singing notes bloom -> just turn up a 50w amp and hit it with an OD pedal or something, getting that type of feel out of a SS amp is tough, even with the MAC you gotta crank it (mac also not designed for guitar, and those are 30+ years old now)
 #159340  by RLW

Searing75 wrote:Well. I know that my Carvin DCM200L sounds terrific in my rig! Not glassy, flat, or stale. I have a twin and an MC50 to compare it to. I prefer it to the Twin, but feel it is a toss up with the McIntosh. Just offering another opinion here.
I'm not disparaging any one component, to each their own, and if I can get my hands on a Quilter to check it out I will gladly do so; however, I think it's also a multivariate issue. I have a Jazzmaster, SG, and a Tom Lieber Tiger - none of them sound the same through my rig - which is a SMS - Carvin - 2x12 D120s ( or I also have a 3x12 E120 ) Clearly the Tiger is the best one, hands down, and I'm not saying it's for everyone - I spent my tooth fairy money on it and I know it's a decedent spend - and I sent it to a luthier in London to have it set up, again, after having it a bit b/c new climate, new guitar, etc - the neck needed a little love after I got her back to the UK ... I digress, anyway, I think there are quite a few variables to consider but I'm game to have a play with any piece of equipment, provided it's not the price of Bitcoin and I cannot play it before buying. If I can find a shop in England where I can buy one with a return policy I will give it a go - never hurts to have backup components anyway.
 #159341  by Blacklodgebob

just gotta check out the newest gear when it comes out! more advocating for experimenting with new gear > getting tube action out of a Carvin DCM just didnt work for me. I cranked it every way, fed it with different preamps, played with the back trim pot, meh. even the Matrix didnt sound that great to me unless it was cranked too loud for any practical purpose
 #159342  by Jon S.

Blacklodgebob wrote:The DCM stuff wasnt designed for guitar.
RLW wrote:I think it's also a multivariate issue. I have a Jazzmaster, SG, and a Tom Lieber Tiger - none of them sound the same through my rig - which is a SMS - Carvin - 2x12 D120s
Blacklodgebob wrote:just gotta check out the newest gear when it comes out! more advocating for experimenting with new gear > getting tube action out of a Carvin DCM just didnt work for me. I cranked it every way, fed it with different preamps, played with the back trim pot, meh. even the Matrix didnt sound that great to me unless it was cranked too loud for any practical purpose
Not talking about the DCM line in full now, just the DCM 200L. It actually was designed in part for guitar (sample excerpt from manual below).
6. EQ EXPAND SWITCH
When set to the ‘in’ position this circuit will cut the mids by -4dB at 1KHz. This works well as a loudness contour when operating at low volume levels or adds tone when using it in a bass or guitar rack. When set to the ‘out’ position it provides a flat, normal response. Try it both ways and set as desired.
I'm with Searing75 here.

I think we all need to be careful about projecting from our own limited, personal experience and preferences to making blanket, universal statements for everyone else.

Myself, I ordered, tried, and returned several Quilters. Getting close but, for me, just not quite there yet. I wish I had liked them more as I like the general platform.

As far as clipping goes, for some of us, getting it from your power amps is overrated. Not in tonal terms - tube (or tube-copied) clipping is glorious - but in practical terms.

Even when I was doing outdoor shows (before my Dead bandmate died a couple of years ago, ending the band), I wasn't playing loud enough to get even my MC50 to clip. If you do and can, hey, no knock here, more power (so to speak!) to you. But it ain't me.