#158014  by deadllama

I've been on a real 1970-71 kick lately, but I'm confused about which guitars were being used on which shows. The 6/7/70 show is clearly a Strat -- I assume the rosewood one seen in pictures from '70 -- but 6/24/70 sounds fatter like he's back to the SG (but I assume it's the small pickguard one, not the bigger one from '69) and from there I have a hard time figuring out what he's playing, but it all sounds like humbucker guitars even all the way through the "beautiful jam" thing on 2/18/71.

Even as early as 2/2/70 it sounds like he's playing a Strat... Do we know when in '70 Garcia switched from the rosewood Strat back to the SG, and when the peanut guitar came into play? Do we even know anything about that rosewood Strat other than "he played one for a while"? After June of '70, what guitars am I hearing?
 #158025  by Feedback

Don't know how much help this is, but when I saw them in November of 1970, he was using the SG.
 #158028  by lovetoboogie

The switch to the SG(the second one) takes place in April of 1970... He stays on the SG through the rest of the year and into the wee months of 1971... In the spring of 71' all sorts of guitars make appearances including but not limited to Rick Turner's "Peanut" guitar...

Here's a cool photo file showing the change from the Rosewood Strat to the SG in 1970....

http://imgur.com/a/QeO7Z

* That is not to say the Rosewood Strat wasn't used again that year but it is not likely. There are photos from the 6/24/70 Capitol Theaters shows and Garcia is on the SG there as well as The Festival Express tour that follows....
 #158051  by Trecia

Love that sunburst guitar in sound and style. Also didn't look like he had found the middle pickup position yet in any of the pictures where it's visible. Going to try to hear more of that guitar this week!
 #158458  by 8-6-71 for me

For 71, well, Jerry played like 10 different guitars. The SG up through Feb (Three from the Vault), then the Ric Turner peanut guitar, an Alembic project (Ladies and Gentlemen...and Skull & Roses), a Guild SG clone in late April, Alligator for the show in June in France, tv yellow LP from July to mid August (DP 36), sunburst 71 LP 8/14 & 8/15, maybe a tele 8/23 & 8/24 (Road Trips 1 3 and also DP 36) then back on Alligator for the rest of the year (RT 3 2)