#157583  by TeeJay
 Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 pm
Is there any noise/interference running DC power along side the signal wire in the two conductor cable?
 #157584  by Gr8fulCadi
 Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 pm
"Also...anyone having issues with Switchcraft stereo jacks. My Strat just went all intermittent on me. I thought it was the GCX".


Absolutely!! Replaced one in my strat also, about 1yr ago. That one jus flaked out a couple days ago, so I'm on my third.
 #157587  by milobender
 Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:59 pm
mgbills wrote:Thanks TeeJay. Life if too short not to dance a little.

Brian...So this becomes the OBEL j-box as well? Are those Stereo Mains? Is that the reason for the two 1/4" jacks?

Also...anyone having issues with Switchcraft stereo jacks. My Strat just went all intermittent on me. I thought it was the GCX.

BTW...Voodoo labs. Great company!!! My Furman conditioner & my OBEL stereo jack simultaneously flipped out. When I call Voodoo labs to see if they'd service the GCX they were going to fix it gratis. No idea how old that unit is. Bought it years ago from a fellow RuKind member.

Thanks!
Yes, it's the OBEL box as well... Not stereo mains, just extra outs for cable in the back, tuner box, etc... I can make any combination you can imagine, to run multiple outs, A channel, B channel, AB together, etc...

I haven't noticed any particular Switchcraft jack problems. I routinely get rejects from time to time no matter what brand, jack, switch, pot, etc...
 #157588  by milobender
 Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:00 pm
mgbills wrote:Thanks TeeJay. Life if too short not to dance a little.

Brian...So this becomes the OBEL j-box as well? Are those Stereo Mains? Is that the reason for the two 1/4" jacks?

Also...anyone having issues with Switchcraft stereo jacks. My Strat just went all intermittent on me. I thought it was the GCX.

BTW...Voodoo labs. Great company!!! My Furman conditioner & my OBEL stereo jack simultaneously flipped out. When I call Voodoo labs to see if they'd service the GCX they were going to fix it gratis. No idea how old that unit is. Bought it years ago from a fellow RuKind member.

Thanks!
Yes, it's the OBEL box as well... Not stereo mains, just extra outs for cable in the back, tuner box, etc... I can make any combination you can imagine, to run multiple outs, A channel, B channel, AB together, etc...

I haven't noticed any particular Switchcraft jack problems. I routinely get rejects from time to time no matter what brand, jack, switch, pot, etc...
 #157589  by milobender
 Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm
TeeJay wrote:Is there any noise/interference running DC power along side the signal wire in the two conductor cable?
DC current itself doesn't make noise... It takes an alternating current to do that. However, I'm careful in the enclosure not to make ground loops or position any cabling by the transformer... that definitely makes noise.

Also, it takes some modifying inside the guitar, to the guitar jack and the way the battery is usually integrated, using the ground completion switching. I can install a dip switch inside the guitar to make it a switchable situation... otherwise, it's either a battery guitar, or a remote power supply guitar.
 #157608  by Gr8fulCadi
 Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 am
Not to derail this thread, But I went to change out the stereo jack last night and notice some of that greenish patina at both points where it comes in contact with the plug. Cleaned them up and the Jack works no prob. I'm using a monster cable with a 'gold' plated plug so that may have been the cause of corrosion/patina,,,,,due to the two different metals?
 #157623  by Jon S.
 Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:21 pm
This article may be common knowledge already but in case helpful, it discusses 4 buffer options, CAE, Bartolini, Wald, and CAL. https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... in-a-strat Most of us are already familiar with CAE and Wald (I myself have guitars with each - both sound good) but I, at least, was not with the last option, Creation Audio Labs (CAL). The article's author writes,
Several companies—including CAE Sound, Bartolini, and Wald Electronics—make onboard buffer kits. Here in Nashville, a buffer called the Redeemer (Photo 2) is popular with studio and touring guitarists. After producer Michael Wagener at WireWorld Studios introduced me to the device, I was impressed enough to recommend it to my customers who want the benefits of a buffered circuit.

While it’s not the only game in town, the Redeemer offers superb specs and costs less than $50 direct from Creation Audio Labs, who manufacture the system. It even has a “dead battery” mode that lets you finish the set even if the circuit’s 9V battery is on the ropes.
 #157740  by kurt eye
 Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 pm
kurt eye wrote:
chipperj wrote:I have this problem a bunch, and I'm convinced it's a quality control issue with the batteries. It happens both with Everyday and Duracell- I put in a new battery, and it sounds even worse than before I switched out the old one. I try another one and it's fine. It seems to happen more when I use a new one out of one of a bulk package, bought at Costco.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the issue. I just plowed through a 4 pack of cheap Rayovacs that I bought at Lowes. According to the multimeter they still test out in the high 8 or low 9 volt range, but perhaps its an amperage issue?

I'm currently into about 4 hours of use on a cheap Walgreen's brand battery. I'm taking the battery out of the box when I'm done playing. I'm hoping this one goes the distance.
I've been going strong on this battery for 2 1/2 weeks. I've left it in the battery box for most of this time, so it doesn't appear to be a faulty wiring issue or the buffer causing it to rapidly drain. I think I just had pack of shit batteries.
 #159879  by kurt eye
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:50 am
kurt eye wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 pm
kurt eye wrote:
chipperj wrote:I have this problem a bunch, and I'm convinced it's a quality control issue with the batteries. It happens both with Everyday and Duracell- I put in a new battery, and it sounds even worse than before I switched out the old one. I try another one and it's fine. It seems to happen more when I use a new one out of one of a bulk package, bought at Costco.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the issue. I just plowed through a 4 pack of cheap Rayovacs that I bought at Lowes. According to the multimeter they still test out in the high 8 or low 9 volt range, but perhaps its an amperage issue?

I'm currently into about 4 hours of use on a cheap Walgreen's brand battery. I'm taking the battery out of the box when I'm done playing. I'm hoping this one goes the distance.
I've been going strong on this battery for 2 1/2 weeks. I've left it in the battery box for most of this time, so it doesn't appear to be a faulty wiring issue or the buffer causing it to rapidly drain. I think I just had pack of shit batteries.




Well my buffer started acting up again. I was getting heavy distortion even with a fresh battery. I decided to pull it from my guitar and took up Waldo's offer to replace it. In the process of getting it ready to send back to Waldo, I discovered one minor detail - it was a CAE CB-1. :oops: I could have sworn I asked for the Wald buffer when I was purchasing the guitar, but oh well. Many thanks to Waldo for offering to help.

According to the CAE website the CB-1 only gets about 10 hours out of a 9v battery when working properly. I think my plan going forward is to scrap OBEL and to put an outboard buffer in my pedal chain after my distortion pedals.
 #159883  by mikelawson
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 am
You sure you don't have a grounding issue or something draining it? My buffer 9 volt was draining quickly, and when we got into the 10lbs of shit shoved into a 5lbs bag that the wiring of my kind of guitars can become with a five way switch, MIDI Ghost saddles and boards added, OBEL jacks, multiple coil tap switches and push-pull pots and standard wiring for three pickups, we found a shorting issue.

Fixed it. Batteries last for many months now and I play at least 12 live performance show hours a month. This was only happening the first "bolt" I had made. My Wolf and Tiger have no shorting issues, and the batteries are going strong. I use good, fresh Duracells. and stay away from store brands. I got the Wolf a year ago and have changed the battery once.
milobender liked this
 #159885  by kurt eye
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm
mikelawson wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 am
You sure you don't have a grounding issue or something draining it? My buffer 9 volt was draining quickly, and when we got into the 10lbs of shit shoved into a 5lbs bag that the wiring of my kind of guitars can become with a five way switch, MIDI Ghost saddles and boards added, OBEL jacks, multiple coil tap switches and push-pull pots and standard wiring for three pickups, we found a shorting issue.

Fixed it. Batteries last for many months now and I play at least 12 live performance show hours a month. This was only happening the first "bolt" I had made. My Wolf and Tiger have no shorting issues, and the batteries are going strong. I use good, fresh Duracells. and stay away from store brands. I got the Wolf a year ago and have changed the battery once.
What exactly was this cause? How did you find the short?