#102619  by jeager
 Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:37 pm
While you guys are on the topic of pickups, I have had a burning question I wonder if anyone can answer. I understand that the super II split to single coil is a key element, since working toward a more Jerry like tone over the past several months I have been using the middle PU on my strat and a very nice SMS/JBL based rig and have gotten pretty close. I would like to get closer but don't want to stick with hum canceling single coils like I have (currently Fender Vintage Noisless). One reason for this is as I understand it when you coil split a humbucker you end up with single coil hum (correct?) which i really don't like.

There are a variety of noise canceling single coils out there, i am wondering which ones might come closest to a split super II in terms of tone. What are the specifications that really matter? Lindy Fralin has a fairly new hum canceling single coil that looks pretty nice and can be custom wound or ordered in various different output levels...
 #102666  by Rojack01
 Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:00 pm
jeager wrote:While you guys are on the topic of pickups, I have had a burning question I wonder if anyone can answer. I understand that the super II split to single coil is a key element, since working toward a more Jerry like tone over the past several months I have been using the middle PU on my strat and a very nice SMS/JBL based rig and have gotten pretty close. I would like to get closer but don't want to stick with hum canceling single coils like I have (currently Fender Vintage Noisless). One reason for this is as I understand it when you coil split a humbucker you end up with single coil hum (correct?) which i really don't like.

There are a variety of noise canceling single coils out there, i am wondering which ones might come closest to a split super II in terms of tone. What are the specifications that really matter? Lindy Fralin has a fairly new hum canceling single coil that looks pretty nice and can be custom wound or ordered in various different output levels...
Brother Man, I might be totally wrong about this, but having owned a guitar with those noisless pickups, (my main guitar for 2+ years) I don't think your gonna get much better then that. I also have not played any new high end single coils that are hum resistant