#174626  by Pete B.

Hi Gang,
Last week someone posted a used Eastwood Wolf on Reverb, and it was at a local guitar store out here called Five Star Guitars.
I played it in the store through a Princeton Reverb for an hour or so, and decided to buy it.
It looks brand new.
I played it on my gig that night, and really liked it. I have been playing a stock Phred Liger since like 2016.
They set it up at the store with 5/64's string height. It seemed a lil low to me but it was Intonated really well... all chord shapes were in tune up and down the neck.
One thing I noticed is that soloing with the MuTron III, specifically on the high E-string up in the 12th-15th fret range, worked/sounded WAY better than with most other guitars I have used over the years. It was pretty effortless to get a good "Blurp!" out of the notes up there!
It's a treble-ee guitar! Love the open-E and open-A notes in those open chord positions!
I already think the middle-position tone knob needs a cap to smooth out the treble roll-off (the knobs treble roll off is in the last 15% of the rotation).
It's got a nice meaty weight and the overall body contour and finish feels good in playing position.
The Wolf sticker was included but not on the guitar.
It is super cool looking! That alone is bringing me great fun and happiness!
I have not taken the back plate off yet. I presume the battery is under there.
I'm giving a good review for a Jerry guitar! Very Happy!
:rockon:
Check it out, it's a beautiful guitar!
Here is the Reverb link that is still up. You might have to scroll down to many the pics:
https://reverb.com/item/69731317-pre-ow ... t=69731317
Last edited by Pete B. on Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jon S. liked this
 #174630  by Pete B.

Limestone wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:19 am I'm glad to hear you like it. I have one, too. Would you please post some pics?

Thanks, Man! You too!
I added the original Reverb link to the original post, with many pics. :musicsmile:
 #174631  by Pete B.

FWIW, They could have chose a better place to put the OBEL switch!
It's right between the two input jacks.
Other knob/switch placement seems ok to me.
I presume I will get used to the OBEL switch placement soon. 8)
 #174632  by Darkstar860

Sweet. My fav style Jerry guitar other than Beans. ;-)

I dont have the same one, but i have yet to try any Wolfs out there that were not very good with the weight distribution and no neck dive etc. How much does yours weigh ? Dimarzio pickups ? Thats a sweet axe. :-) Congrats.
 #174634  by Pete B.

Darkstar860 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:16 pm Sweet. My fav style Jerry guitar other than Beans. ;-)

I dont have the same one, but i have yet to try any Wolfs out there that were not very good with the weight distribution and no neck dive etc. How much does yours weigh ? Dimarzio pickups ? Thats a sweet axe. :-) Congrats.

There was a pic of this guit on a digital scale in the original Reverb ad that showed it at 9.25lbs. It is a good weight for me. My Liger feels noticably lighter.
One other observation is that I really like the Volute on the back of the neck/headstock. Not too big or small. Nice detail/craftsmanship.
They are calling the pickups Valco Custom Super2 MOD (bridge, middle), or Valco Custom HS2 Mod (neck).
All the Specs are on this Eastwood Wolf link: https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/ea ... olf-guitar
 #174636  by Pete B.

wabisabied wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:50 pm Congrats Pete! I don’t own an Eastwood Wolf, or any other Wolf, but I drop by 5-Star guitars now and then and have spent some dough there. Are you in that neighborhood?
Thanks, Wabi!
I work nearby Five Star, and live about 20min away, near the Sellwood Bridge. My local Jerry band is called Rhapsody In Red. We are playing Sat June 17th 2-4pm at McMennimans Barley Mill 40th Anniversary bash, and Sat June 24th 2-5pm at McMennimans Edgefield Brewfest. FYI if you are out and about.
fwiw, I am hoping to find out whose guitar this was?! I have a few questions for the original owner. I think I overheard them say his name was Mike, not sure.
 #174637  by lbpesq

Congrats Pete! Wolf has always been my favorite Jerry guitar, and I saw most of them (my earliest memory is of Jerry playing an SG). I currently have an Alembic Further, which is their current take on Wolf (which was an Alembic build, Irwin was working at Alembic at the time). Enjoy your Wolf.

Bill, tgo
 #174638  by Pete B.

Thanks Bill,
Your Alembic sounds like an awesome guitar!
Just playing around with this guitar today I found the neck pickup sounds really good with the tone knob nearly all the way up (it has a 50% click). That will be useful, and that tone knob has a nice wide, even, sweep from end to end. I might move it a little closer to the strings.
The inbetween bridge and middle has a good Stratty sound. I like that sound for intro to West LA.
I am going to leave the action low for a while.
The neck is thinner than my Phred, and feels very easy to play. I likes me some Finger-Ease, so it's pretty easy to play right now!
 #174641  by Pete B.

strumminsix wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:16 pm Holy shit, Pete, it's been a minute. Good to see you pop in!
Strummin'!
How's it goin' Maan! Yes I am still at it and just had two JGB style gigs last week with a few new members, and one with this new axe!
Funn Stuff!
 #174644  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:21 am
strumminsix wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:16 pm Holy shit, Pete, it's been a minute. Good to see you pop in!
Strummin'!
How's it goin' Maan! Yes I am still at it and just had two JGB style gigs last week with a few new members, and one with this new axe!
Funn Stuff!
Most excellent! And so very glad to hear!!!! New musical friends are so critically important for sure! Glad to hear!

Things are good. Trying to play more music but the scene is different post-covid. Still playing lots but need more dead. And have a really cool guitar on order that I hope to take possession of in a few months that I can't wait to share details about :rockon:
Pete B. liked this
 #174647  by wabisabied

Pete B. wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:08 pm
wabisabied wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:50 pm Congrats Pete! I don’t own an Eastwood Wolf, or any other Wolf, but I drop by 5-Star guitars now and then and have spent some dough there. Are you in that neighborhood?
Thanks, Wabi!
I work nearby Five Star, and live about 20min away, near the Sellwood Bridge. My local Jerry band is called Rhapsody In Red. We are playing Sat June 17th 2-4pm at McMennimans Barley Mill 40th Anniversary bash, and Sat June 24th 2-5pm at McMennimans Edgefield Brewfest. FYI if you are out and about.
fwiw, I am hoping to find out whose guitar this was?! I have a few questions for the original owner. I think I overheard them say his name was Mike, not sure.
Right on Pete. I work near there too. Live about 40 minutes west near Gaston. Don’t get to east side much but will keep those show dates in mind. No idea who sold that Wolf, but I’m not well connected.