#170803  by caspersvapors

The DRRI + D123 in that clip sounds more like Jerrys tone from 93-95 when he was playing lightning bolt. Kind of brittle and piezo like. I dont think I would want to hear that every day
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170962  by aiq

wpmartin1979 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 am
Smolder wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:39 am
It’s not a Jerry style sounding JBL... it lacks the 4” voice coils and it has a ribbed cone. It’s its own thing. I still have couple stashed.
I see your point, the ribbed cone makes for a cleaner tone ... HOWEVER the speaker is definitely capable of Jerry tones - although maybe not the best all around choice.

Here is a demo with a guy playing Jerry style licks through a DR and it sounds really good IMHO

https://youtu.be/wH3Fh9-WBk0

:musicsmile:
I am that guy. Thanks for saying something nice. IMO my playing is pretty pedestrian in that clip and just for demoing the amps.

I have sold both of those amps after I found a 64 Deluxe Amp which now has the D123 in it.

I recently acquired a lawsuit era Howard Roberts copy, made at FujiGen in June 76, branded Speedfire. That amp with that speaker makes that guitar sound as sweet as candy.

Not a Jerry sound but I am not really looking for that anymore. Plenty of others chasing it.
 #170965  by Chocol8

caspersvapors wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:12 am The DRRI + D123 in that clip sounds more like Jerrys tone from 93-95 when he was playing lightning bolt. Kind of brittle and piezo like. I dont think I would want to hear that every day
That is also when he stopped playing the Twin Reverbs. Don’t think it was the guitar.
 #170966  by Jon S.

Interesting discussion. I had a HT-style cab loaded with a pair of Weber neo speakers ostensibly modeled after D120s. They did sound D120-like but with exactly the type of piezo-ish artifacts others are describing now. I couldn't make peace with the Webers because of it and sold them.