#170695  by Jaycot

Has anyone here attempted to use a full reverb tank instead of a pedal? I’m currently running a Mesa Boogie V-twin into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage into a Laney Cab. Unfortunately, with this setup I don’t have any reverb. I’ve been looking at reverb tanks and I was wondering if this could be a good solution to my problem. Has anyone had any luck with a setup like this? :-?
 #170699  by wpmartin1979

Jaycot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:03 am Has anyone here attempted to use a full reverb tank instead of a pedal? I’m currently running a Mesa Boogie V-twin into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage into a Laney Cab. Unfortunately, with this setup I don’t have any reverb. I’ve been looking at reverb tanks and I was wondering if this could be a good solution to my problem. Has anyone had any luck with a setup like this? :-?
We started a whole thread about reverb pedals. There are some pedals that have actual tanks in them if that is what you are after. I believe the actual reverb tanks have gone out of favor because they are huge and a pain to lug around and they are expensive. I bet some of the original Fender ones sound really good though.
It sounds like you have a portable rig so you wouldn’t want to weigh it down with a huge tank. There are tons of options for Reverb that sound really good though.

I really like the J Rocket Boing which uses an actual acutronics spring tank chip.
Also the True Spring is very popular and the Topanga from Catalinbread is based on an old outboard tank as well.
 #170701  by Jaycot

wpmartin1979 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:01 pm
Jaycot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:03 am Has anyone here attempted to use a full reverb tank instead of a pedal? I’m currently running a Mesa Boogie V-twin into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage into a Laney Cab. Unfortunately, with this setup I don’t have any reverb. I’ve been looking at reverb tanks and I was wondering if this could be a good solution to my problem. Has anyone had any luck with a setup like this? :-?
We started a whole thread about reverb pedals. There are some pedals that have actual tanks in them if that is what you are after. I believe the actual reverb tanks have gone out of favor because they are huge and a pain to lug around and they are expensive. I bet some of the original Fender ones sound really good though.
It sounds like you have a portable rig so you wouldn’t want to weigh it down with a huge tank. There are tons of options for Reverb that sound really good though.

I really like the J Rocket Boing which uses an actual acutronics spring tank chip.
Also the True Spring is very popular and the Topanga from Catalinbread is based on an old outboard tank as well.
I’ve actually been reading that thread, I just thought that this was a unique enough question to warrant an additional post. I’ve seen the Boing but I’ll have to check out the Topanga. Thanks for the recommendation!
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170704  by Jaycot

wpmartin1979 wrote:It would be a fun project to build/wire a tank IMHO
That’s what I was thinking! I was looking at some of the options online and it looks like you could probably fit a tank under most pedalboards.
 #170707  by wpmartin1979

Jaycot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:38 pm
That’s what I was thinking! I was looking at some of the options online and it looks like you could probably fit a tank under most pedalboards.
If it were that small it wouldn’t be tube driven though would it?
 #170708  by Jaycot

wpmartin1979 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:23 am
Jaycot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:38 pm
If it were that small it wouldn’t be tube driven though would it?
I feel like you could keep the form factor small while still including a tube if you used a starved plate design. I could be wrong though, I’m no electronics wizard. Here are the units I was looking at https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/reverb_tanks not sure what I would need to do in order to make these work though.
 #170727  by 8-6-71 for me

I have a '63 Fender reissue reverb unit. It doesn't sound like the Twin's reverb fwiw and I actually prefer the digital reverb on the Sarno pre-amp. I would probably sooner use my Echoplex, although not very "Jer-like" but more interesting for sure. Both collecting dust.

Will be listing the 63 reverb and Echoplex soon.