#170263  by wpmartin1979

LazyLightning72 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm I’ll be placing the order for a new Earth Drive tonight, I may go ahead and grab one of those Bugera Power Soak units, to try and get some “natural” tube breakup as well, at lower decibels. They are only $100 so worst case, I don’t like it and sell it on reverb.

Again thanks everyone for the advice!
Have a great weekend

Edit*
I notice it says built to order on the SMS online store. Does anyone have any idea how long the wait is once you purchase an Earth Drive, new from them?
About seven days
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #170264  by LazyLightning72

wpmartin1979 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 pm
LazyLightning72 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm I’ll be placing the order for a new Earth Drive tonight, I may go ahead and grab one of those Bugera Power Soak units, to try and get some “natural” tube breakup as well, at lower decibels. They are only $100 so worst case, I don’t like it and sell it on reverb.

Have a great weekend

Edit*
I notice it says built to order on the SMS online store. Does anyone have any idea how long the wait is once you purchase an Earth Drive, new from them?
About seven days
Oh that’s not bad at all, thanks!
 #170265  by wpmartin1979

LazyLightning72 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:44 pm
wpmartin1979 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 pm

Have a great weekend

Edit*
About seven days
Oh that’s not bad at all, thanks!
Considering he builds you your own custom hand wired pedal used by the likes of Jimmy Herring, etc I’d say it’s definitely worth the wait 👍
 #170348  by LazyLightning72

Some things came up, so I haven’t ordered the Earth Drive yet, but I will be soon.

Those Bugera PS1 are hard to find. They must be popular, every place I have looked is out of stock.

Anyhow,
I will update when I get the Earth Drive, with my thoughts on it.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #170605  by LazyLightning72

So I got the email the other day from Sweetwater, that they finally got some of the Bugera units in. I decided to jump, since I couldn’t find them anywhere else.

It’s going to be delivered today, and I’m excited to try it out. Especially to see how it sounds with my current MXR Dist. +. I will still most likely get an Earth Drive, so I’ll keep updating for when I do.
 #170623  by PaulJay

Hope I am not too late to add my 2 cents. A Couple of years ago
I was in search of a new overdrive and someone on this board
recommended the Ehx Soulfood. Supposedly a klon like pedal
and said to be similar to an Earth Drive. I went for it and am happy with it. I just use it for alittle grit. The price is right too. Good luck
 #170626  by Jon S.

We're fortunate to have so many excellent available OD pedal options.
 #170628  by LazyLightning72

There are many to choose from, no doubt about it.

I’m holding off on the Earth Drive until I see what kind of tone I can get using the Bugera. If I can get some natural overdrive, the MXR might work just fine to put the finishing touches on.

If not, I will most likely go with the Earth Drive.

Thanks everyone, for the continued feedback
 #170637  by Searing75

The JHS Moonshine V2 is incredible. I highly recommend it. It has a clean blend control, allowing you to add your clean signal along with the overdriven tone. This is so helpful in dialing in the many different types of overdrive, and it’s characteristics we all long for.
 #170769  by wpmartin1979

The Greer Amps Lightspeed

This thing is MADE for Jerry tones. I’ve only had it a little while but it is absolutely killer! Compares very much to the Earth Drive but, like all great pedals it has a little its own thing going on. Extremely transparent without coloring your tone at all. It is very amp like and sounds like an edge of breakup amp with the drive turned up. Pairs so well with the Thick Air it is ridiculous.

Absolutely killer pedal!!!!
 #171054  by LazyLightning72

Update*

I finally ordered an Earth Drive, from a very kind member here. Supposed to be here Saturday, and I can’t wait.

I’ll let you know my first impression after I get to play it that night.
 #171055  by Chocol8

Late to the party, but an old trick to make the MXR D+ work better is to put an EQ pedal after it. Use it both for EQ and to boost the level back up. I also believe Jerry used EQ pedals on his board but I am not sure if that was specifically with the D+ or not.
 #171060  by LazyLightning72

Got a chance to try out the new Earth Drive, and I’m really liking it so far. Still need some time to dial it in, but I’m happy so far.

Thanks again!
NSP