#169308  by Jon S.

Also, there's a design flaw in the Powerstage 170 folks should be aware of. The flaw is easily avoided - this thread shows how https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... s.2151115/ - but it exists. I don't think the same problem will occur with the 200 as its input and output jacks are relatively more widely separated.

170:

200:

wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169310  by wpmartin1979

Question: What would be the purpose of an FX loop on a preamp only pedal? It was my understanding that the point of an FX loop was to place certain FX in between the preamp and power amp so they do not effect the gain/color of the preamp. So how would an FX loop on a preamp even work and what would be the point? It seems to me that you could just put any modular FX after the preamp in the chain and they would be effectively “in the loop” so to speak,
 #169312  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:17 am Question: What would be the purpose of an FX loop on a preamp only pedal? It was my understanding that the point of an FX loop was to place certain FX in between the preamp and power amp so they do not effect the gain/color of the preamp. So how would an FX loop on a preamp even work and what would be the point? It seems to me that you could just put any modular FX after the preamp in the chain and they would be effectively “in the loop” so to speak,
I would think the effects insert point in such units would be other than at the preamp's beginning or end. As an example, on Milkman's The Amp 100, the on-board boost is inserted between the 12AX7's two sides.
 #169313  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:57 am
wpmartin1979 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:17 am
I would think the effects insert point in such units would be other than at the preamp's beginning or end. As an example, on Milkman's The Amp 100, the on-board boost is inserted between the 12AX7's two sides.
So the boost is essentially running in parallel with the preamp rather than series?
A boost is different than say reverb or delay though, right, I mean it’s not really an FX, just an increase in signal.

The MKIIIs manual says the FX loop
Is a “series fx loop for external processing”
What does that mean?

I’m just trying to figure out how to use the FX loop on the Shift line Twin MKII or whether to use it at all - I can’t find a user manual anywhere in the web. I guess I could go by trial and error but with so many possibilities I’d rather get at least a starting point for what the purpose is. 🤔
 #169314  by gdrfk1990

I've wondered this too.. I use the FX loop on the power amp (Quilter) I would think the fx loop on the preamp puts the effects after the preamp before the power amp. I run my OD pedals through the front and everything else in the loop.. I know that's different but it's what I like the Mutron sounds cleaner to me that way. I tried it both ways.. I think the Quilter has a boost on the loop though or something like that.. It drives the Mutron just fine
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169315  by Jon S.

I can't speak for anything else but as I described it is how the boost is configured in Milkman The Amp 100.

BTW, I asked Milkman a couple of days ago for the owners manual to The Amp 100 and received a reply email with it the next day.
 #169316  by Jon S.

Strange.

On the Milkman The Amp 100 webpage at https://milkmansound.com/products/the-amp-100, it says:

WATTAGE
50W 16ohm Output
100W 8ohm Output
200W 4ohm Output

But in the User's Guide, the corresponding wattages are only 25W, 50W, and 100W.

I emailed "Mr. Milkman" to ask which is right. I'm guessing the latter but if so, he really should correct the webpage.
 #169317  by wpmartin1979

Jon...your first response to my question has inadvertently given me an idea for a cool way to use the FX loop on the Shift Line!⚡️

Not sure if it will work, I am going to save the drama for my review tho - no spoilers yet - review coming soon, it just arrived yesterday
 #169318  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:05 am Strange.

On the Milkman The Amp 100 webpage at https://milkmansound.com/products/the-amp-100, it says:

WATTAGE
50W 16ohm Output
100W 8ohm Output
200W 4ohm Output

But in the User's Guide, the corresponding wattages are only 25W, 50W, and 100W.

I emailed "Mr. Milkman" to ask which is right. I'm guessing the latter but if so, he really should correct the webpage.
I believe the info in the users guide is for V1 of The Amp - they could have accidentally reprinted or forgot to edit that part , or he sent you the guide for V1
 #169319  by Jon S.

No, it's very much the Guide for V2, "The Amp 100!" (If you want me to email you the Guide in pdf format, drop me a PM with your e-address.)
 #169320  by wpmartin1979

Jon S. wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:27 am No, it's very much the Guide for V2, "The Amp 100!" (If you want me to email you the Guide in pdf format, drop me a PM with your e-address.)
No I trust you lol. I already have a pdf of the guide for V1 sent to me by The Milkman. Sounds like they just reprinted the info from V1 into the V2 guide then.
Personally now that I’ve tried the Shift Line I have no interest whatsoever in Th Amp. That’s all I’m gonna say before my official review tho.
I’ve now owned Both the Quilter Mini Reverb and Milkman The Amp and to like ex- girlfriends I will always remember them fondly, but I have indeed moved on to new horizons.
Btw it is partially your fault for starting this thread 😂
 #169321  by Jon S.

I’m honored!
 #169322  by wpmartin1979

gdrfk1990 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:23 am I've wondered this too.. I use the FX loop on the power amp (Quilter) I would think the fx loop on the preamp puts the effects after the preamp before the power amp. I run my OD pedals through the front and everything else in the loop.. I know that's different but it's what I like the Mutron sounds cleaner to me that way. I tried it both ways.. I think the Quilter has a boost on the loop though or something like that.. It drives the Mutron just fine
So your OD pedals hit the Quilter preamp? I’m a bit confused, can you clarify your setup with the Quilter and the preamp? This may help others who are using the Quilter and find this thread later on, especially since you found a way to make the Mutron sing.
 #169323  by PLS30820

So now that the talk has gotten to more expensive stuff, i found, what i think could be a lower cost option. I picked up a Mooer Radar and it should be delivered sometime this week. It has a bunch of different preset amp, cabinets and mics built in and also has an option to upload your own IR files. At less than $150 it cant hurt to try out. Anyone else seen it and if i missed a mention earlier in this discussion, i apologize.

Paul
Jon S. liked this
 #169324  by wpmartin1979

PLS30820 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:30 am So now that the talk has gotten to more expensive stuff, i found, what i think could be a lower cost option. I picked up a Mooer Radar and it should be delivered sometime this week. It has a bunch of different preset amp, cabinets and mics built in and also has an option to upload your own IR files. At less than $150 it cant hurt to try out. Anyone else seen it and if i missed a mention earlier in this discussion, i apologize.

Paul
I’ve seen these and they look really cool, I believe it is a cab sim and not an actual preamp, so you can’t run it to a live cab. They are like a more affordable version of the Two Notes Torpedo. It also provides power amp sim so you can choose, for example a 6L6 Tube Sounding power amp. You can then run a preamp through the Radar and into a DAW. Many of the preamps in this thread have cab sims on them for DAW, but from what I have read the Radar has a very expansive set of options for a good price. Mooer, although a Chinese company, seems to have some really legit engineers working for them and they are really on the cutting edge of a lot of this new tech. Looking forward to hearing more about what you think after you give it a try 👍 I will I’ll also be reviewing their Two Rock Coral Preamp - they also make a compact and powerful pedal power amp- anyone want to take the plunge in that and give it a go??