#169143  by Jon S.

perljam wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:51 am I don't know where a Milkman The Amp manual can be found online, but I can answer questions. Note that there is a (white) 50w version with Trem and a (black) 100w version with boost. Both have reverb.
Thanks. No specific questions - I just dig reading gear manuals. :p
 #169172  by PLS30820

So, say with the Shift LIne, you could run your effects with a GCX into the pedal and out to phones for in-house playing? Is that correct? My wife and daughter would be soooooo excited about that.
 #169173  by strumminsix

PLS30820 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:55 am So, say with the Shift LIne, you could run your effects with a GCX into the pedal and out to phones for in-house playing? Is that correct? My wife and daughter would be soooooo excited about that.
Yup. I have one of their earlier versions without IR loader that's great and use it for that regularly. If interested, I'll sell it.
 #169215  by wpmartin1979

I havn’t tried any of these but they certainly look very intriguing. It seems to me that this would be a great route to take if you also got a pedal power amp and bypassed the whole rack thing altogether, therefore creating an incredibly portable Jerry tone rig .... hmmmm, I like this idea!

The most intriguing options in my opinion are the Mad Professor (comes with awesome sounding overdrive added), the Kingsley and the Shift Line (both have actual tube inside). Kingsley also makes the Squire which has less tweak ability than the Maiden but essentially the same thing otherwise (apparently). Also, from reading on Gear Page it seems that the Maiden D (Dumble) is actually pretty much the same as the BF, but “brighter with less bass”. Seems like that would be perfect for Jerry tone. I know Mayer uses a Dumble.
Very interesting stuff!
 #169216  by Jon S.

The Maiden V2 has many added capabilities relative to the V1.

http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/65/

New V2 Overview

The Maiden V2 is now shipping. All of the original features of the V1 Maiden (see below) are still included. New features include the addition of a second footswitch for accessing either the mid boost, the EQ lift boost function, or both.

The Maiden is a tube preamplifier in a pedal format. It is suitable for running directly into a power amplifier, running into the effects return of an amplifier’s effects loop, recording direct when combined with a cabinet/power amp simulator or for use as a booster/second clean sound when plugged into the front end of another guitar amplifier.

There are two models available: the Maiden BF, inspired by the classic Fender blackface design and the Maiden D, based on the clean channel of a Dumble ODS type amplifier. These preamplifiers are primarily about clean tones but can also be set for edge of breakup sounds.

The single Tungsol 12ax7 runs at high voltage for a full, rich and dynamic tube sound. The 9VDC power supply (provided) is converted to both 6VDC for the tube heaters and 275VDC for the tube plates.

V2 Features

The Maiden V2 features controls for Volume, Master, Treble, Middle, Bass and EQ Lift, as well as a 3-way bright switch, a mid boost switch and an EQ Lift Boost footswitch.

New V2 Features include:

A second footswitch is incuded in the same size enclosure, giving the option of accessing two features of the circuit by footswitch:

- EQ Lift Boost. Lifting the EQ results in a large volume boost and a general fattening of the tone. The amount of volume lift and tone fattening is set by the EQ Lift pot. This feature was available on the V1, but only with the addition of the external EQ Lift Boost pedal (sold separatley).

- Mid Boost. On the V1 Maiden the mid boost was activated with a push-pull pot switch. On the V2 this is replaced with a 3-way mini switch. In position 1 the mid boost is off. In position 2 the mid boost becomes footswitchable with the second footswitch. In position 3 the mid boost is on (regardless of the second footswitch status).

This second footswitch can be used to select either the Mid Boost or the EQ Lift Boost or it can access both features at once. If the user wants to use the footswitch for Mid Boost only, set the Mid Boost mini switch to position 2 and turn the EQ Lift pot to zero. To access the EQ Lift Boost alone (with the mid boost turned off), set the Mid Boost mini switch to position 1 and turn the EQ Lift pot to the desired boost amount. To access both the EQ Lift with the Mid Boost already on, set the Mid Boost mini switch to position 3. To access the Mid Boost and EQ Lift at the same time, set the Mid Boost mini switch to position 2 and set the EQ Lift pot to the desired boost amount.

Measurements: 3 7/8” wide x 4 ¾” deep x 2.56" tall

Power requirements: 9VDC @ 500mA, cent
 #169247  by wpmartin1979

This one is based on the Two Rock Coral - clean channel should be sparkly clean for days...

Mooer Micro preamp 010 Two Stone

MOOER micro preamps are sonically accurate digital recreations of the pre-amp sections of popular tube amplifiers. We have developed these by directly analyzing real tube amplifiers using a brand new technology to capture their sound, dynamics and response. Each Micro Pre-amp comes complete with dual channels, integrated speaker cabinet simulation and dual operating modes to suit the needs of all users.

Initially we are releasing a set of 10 models, each based on a different popular tube amplifier from a range of manufacturers. These have been designed to be used with the upcoming MOOER power amp or in the effects return of any standard guitar amplifier. The speaker cab simulation allows the user to connect direct to a soundcard, powered monitor or P.A. without the need for a guitar amp or speaker cab at all.

Features:

High quality dual channel preamp
Independent 3 band EQ, Gain and Volume controls for each channel
Speaker cabinet simulation on/off
2 different modes for footswitch operation. On/Off or channel A/B
010 is based on TwoRock® Coral
 #169248  by Jon S.

perljam wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:07 pmAnother to consider - Milkman The Amp 100. I know there's another thread and some haters, but I have one and love it. It has a tube, and you can go line out into the Mac. It also has a 100W class D amp built in if you want to travel light. Amazing Reverb as well. Not cheap, though...
Though also not a standalone preamp, in the Milkman The Amp 100 vein, I came across the Victory Amps V4 The Duchess Guitar Amp. $799. The circuit and tone features look very interesting indeed (and more versatile than the Milkman unit, though it has a built in footswitchable boost the V4 lacks.

Review: https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/vic ... ess-review

From Victory's website at https://www.victoryamps.com/v4-the-duchess-amplifier:

"Four valves in the front end, 180-watt power section, reverb and tremolo. Only 1.7kg / 3.75lbs – a guitar amp revolution!

V4 The Duchess partners a V4 Series all-valve preamp with a solid-state, 180-watt Class D power amp. Its ultra-compact size and negligible weight disguise the huge tones it can produce. It's great for home and studio players looking for an elegant solution on a small cab or desktop, or for touring musicians who need a great-sounding, dependable pedal platform amp."

#169249  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:49 am
perljam wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:07 pmAnother to consider - Milkman The Amp 100. I know there's another thread and some haters, but I have one and love it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know where I could find a link to the owners manual? I checked the Milkman site followed by an internet search but couldn't find it.
Imma say this... I've owned many vintage fenders. The SMS and other clean machines. The MM amp sounded nice but not anywhere in the SMS FYD vintage Twin neighborhood.
Jon S. liked this
 #169252  by wpmartin1979

Question for everyone:

What is the best way to add reverb to one of these preamps considering none of them have it built in? Would it be after your pedals and before the preamp, or in between the preamp and power amp?
The more I thought about it, I thought this could be an issue with the Super Black since it has overdrive built in it seems you would need to put the reverb after the preamp. Wouldn’t it be weird to run an overdrive post reverb and post all other pedals on your board. This seems to make the Super Black a bit precarious. Or would you just put it in front of everything like an overdrive? But then all the other effects are essentially “in the fx loop” post preamp (which I guess is okay now that I think about it) - sorry thinking out loud here...
How does reverb work in the FYD/SMS/‘65 Twin? Is it after or before the preamp, or even after the power amp?
Sorry if these are stupid/obvious questions, lol.
 #169253  by Jon S.

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:24 amWhat is the best way to add reverb to one of these preamps considering none of them have it built in? Would it be after your pedals and before the preamp, or in between the preamp and power amp?
The latter. Same for almost all your time-based effects, e.g., delay, unless you're shooting for a particular unusual tone (some very cool tones occurred when rules like this one are broken judiciously or even accidentally).

BTW, in a similar TGP thread, I bemoaned that more of these pedals don't have reverb built-in. The consensus response is this would unnecessarily increase the pedals' costs as most people already own reverb pedals and/or prefer to select their reverbs themselves.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169254  by strumminsix

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:24 am Question for everyone:

What is the best way to add reverb to one of these preamps considering none of them have it built in? Would it be after your pedals and before the preamp, or in between the preamp and power amp?
The more I thought about it, I thought this could be an issue with the Super Black since it has overdrive built in it seems you would need to put the reverb after the preamp. Wouldn’t it be weird to run an overdrive post reverb and post all other pedals on your board. This seems to make the Super Black a bit precarious. Or would you just put it in front of everything like an overdrive? But then all the other effects are essentially “in the fx loop” post preamp (which I guess is okay now that I think about it) - sorry thinking out loud here...
How does reverb work in the FYD/SMS/‘65 Twin? Is it after or before the preamp, or even after the power amp?
Sorry if these are stupid/obvious questions, lol.
This is what I use: https://robertkeeley.com/Caverns

Find this to be a superior option for delay reverb combo.

And can either be the last effect in your chain or in the loop.

My opinion: the "must be in the loop" and "4CM or you suck" or really silly. Some of the greatest music ever recorded had time based and modulating effects before the preamp.
 #169255  by wpmartin1979

Thanks for the responses, this making sense to me now.
Another question, and I am asking this genuinely in a non-sarcastic way:

Can anyone give me specific examples of Jer using delay? I know he had an MXR analogue and then later a digital rack delay, but my ears never really hear it in the music. I guess the other thing is that I have never listened closely for it, but it has never stood out as obvious to me in any way. I mean, besides Drums/Space of course.
 #169256  by strumminsix

wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:32 pm Thanks for the responses, this making sense to me now.

Can anyone give me specific examples of Jer using delay? I know he had an MXR analogue and then later a digital rack delay, but my ears never really hear it in the music. I guess the other thing is that I have never listened closely for it, but it has never stood out as obvious to me in any way. I mean, besides Drums/Space of course.
My memory says:
Looks like rain
Dear Mr fantasy
Mama tried

But look for that fast, country slapback and not the big Gilmore delay.
wpmartin1979 liked this
 #169257  by wpmartin1979

strumminsix wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:39 pm
wpmartin1979 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:32 pm Thanks for the responses, this making sense to me now.

My memory says:
Looks like rain
Dear Mr fantasy
Mama tried

But look for that fast, country slapback and not the big Gilmore delay.
Oh yeahhh, maybe even Big River has that slap back effect like the chicken pickin type stuff he does 👍
strumminsix liked this
 #169258  by Jon S.

I don't know about Jer and delay but I've been know to abuse some now and then. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/gratefuljon/the- ... cerpt-with
wpmartin1979 liked this