#167081  by jeager

Hi folks,

I have been using a Fractal AX8 now for a few years and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve an approximation of 71-72 tone on the thing. Of course the twin model would be a good place to start but anything about specific settings to get that 70s breakup or crunch or whatever it is, and cab models that people have had success with. I have actually gravitated towards the comet 60 model lately, it seems a little kinder and easier to get that edge of break without being too harsh.

Jerry got such a cool break up sound back then and I figure I can come closer to that with my Strat than trying to go after 82 or something like that, plus I play in a smaller band with out keys or even a rhythm player at times so a fatter warmer tone is more desirable I think.

When did he start using the blaster? Is that how he got a twin to squish up like that?
 #167083  by Jon S.

I can't answer your question myself but perhaps there are ideas here

viewtopic.php?f=419&t=12692&hilit=Fractal+AX8

or here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/

Also, IIRC the guitarist for Playing Dead used the AX8 (perhaps he still does). His tone's awesome in the samples I've heard - you could try reaching out to him:

http://ivoryeightyeights.wixsite.com/playingdead
 #167088  by caspersvapors

71 tone and 72 are quite different to me, so for clarification are you going for the Europe 72 tone or the Skull and Roses Live album tone?

Either way the amp should be the same, just a matter of different guitar input.

I can cop 71 tones all day with an Epiphone Riviera into my Princeton Reverb cranked with a JBL Alnico.

For 71 - Gibson vintage style mini humbuckers or P90 pickups.

For 72 - vintage strat style pickups

I dont know much about the Fractal modeler but I would start with a Blackface Fender Reverb model (doesnt have to be a twin, in fact it may be easier to just use something like the Deluxe) and crank the volume and treble on the amp, but then squelch the shrill treble frequencies by working the volume and tone controls at your guitar, thats Jerry was doing regardless of his amplification.
 #167092  by playingdead

That's not a tone I've chased personally, but using the Double Verb amp block would be a start, and you can adjust the master volume and the gain on that to make it break up, or put a (flat) filter block before it to "push" the front end of it, too -- that would be more or less the equivalent of a blaster. If you turn off the "sag supply" in the amp block, that will remove the power amp simulation, if you want to emulate the Twin into the McIntosh. Or, turn it on and adjust that to add some power amp warmth -- more like a tube Mac or the tube power section on the Twin.

Reverb is important, too, the spring simulation is good in the Fractal, if not quite as "splashy" as Jerry's reverb was. You can adjust some of those parameters, audition the three different spring simulations to see which one sounds right to you.

Try various cabs, I think you probably have the E120 impulse response file I did years ago, but there's also one I did for a K110 that's a little sweeter sounding and might work well.