#166911  by zkinard

Working on setting up an effects chain for Jerry tone on the Line 6 PodHD 500x unit I have. I see in past threads many people list using a compressor. Looking for some opinions on where in the chain to put the compressor, if and why in particular Jerry ran one, and what settings for a compressor would be recommended?

You all have been very helpful to me, thanks,
Zach
 #166914  by Jon S.

The model you're seeking is called Tube Comp. It's based on Teletronix LA-2A studio compressor.

The title is misleading. The comp effect on this model is quite subtle relative to its clean boost and treble enhancement impacts. (Indeed, it's akin-sounding, to me, to an aural exciter).

Start with the threshold at half or more (i.e., relatively less compression relative to its output) and level at a quarter and adjust from there. Experiment, also, with the model at both the beginning and the end of your signal chain. Myself, on my M13 (it's the same model), I put it at the end as it’s not your traditional compressor model despite its moniker.

You yourself may or may not feel including the Tube Comp in your chain actually gets you closer to Jerry tone. That's fine - tone is personal. But you already "own" the model and even if it's not for you for Jerry tone it's a wonderful sounding effect useful in other contexts, too, so you have absolutely nothing to lose from trying it.

#166924  by Jon S.

flyingheelhook wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 am I just dusted off my M13 the other day to put together a 'dash and jam/jam and dash' rig - will have to try it out.
Hi, Ben!

If you're running a McI into a JBL or three and the circumstances of where and how you play are such you can crank the McI and slam the JBL(s), you're operating under very different conditions than someone relying on a POD or M13 at significantly lower volumes. Hence my suggestion of the Tube Comp model - it's intended for folks seeking useful yet subtle compression/clipping/sustain under conditions other than via the ideal, "opened up" Jerry rig.

For your "dash and jam/jam and dash rig," obviously, the Tron Up model is what you'll use for your envelope filter but another tip: try preceding it with the Boost Comp model set appropriately for the guitar and pickups you're using (until I figured this out, I could never get the Tron Up to not sound too spikey to be useful).

Finally, if you don't usually use the Classic Distortion (based on the ProCo Rat) model for your overdrive, FWIW, I think it sounds remarkably dynamic with the drive set low and volume set high. For Dead, I very much prefer it over the Screamer model.
flyingheelhook liked this
 #166925  by flyingheelhook

Jon S. wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:21 pm
flyingheelhook wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:26 am I just dusted off my M13 the other day to put together a 'dash and jam/jam and dash' rig - will have to try it out.
Hi, Ben!

If you're running a McI into a JBL or three and the circumstances of where and how you play are such you can crank the McI and slam the JBL(s), you're operating under very different conditions than someone relying on a POD or M13 at significantly lower volumes. Hence my suggestion of the Tube Comp model - it's intended for folks seeking useful yet subtle compression/clipping/sustain under conditions other than via the ideal, "opened up" Jerry rig.

For your "dash and jam/jam and dash rig," obviously, the Tron Up model is what you'll use for your envelope filter but another tip: try preceding it with the Boost Comp model set appropriately for the guitar and pickups you're using (until I figured this out, I could never get the Tron Up to not sound too spikey to be useful).

Finally, if you don't usually use the Classic Distortion (based on the ProCo Rat) model for your overdrive, FWIW, I think it sounds remarkably dynamic with the drive set low and volume set high. For Dead, I very much prefer it over the Screamer model.
Thanks Jon. Its not really intended to be Jerry rig per se, but the M13 will be driving a blues jr which is reasonably capable of some nice clean fender tone. I'll play with the tube comp and let you know what I think.