#166571  by caspersvapors

Was listening to the Grateful Dead movie soundtrack the other day. I know some peeps have some qualms with that album but in terms of sound these are my favorite live recordings of the Dead and some of my favorite Jerry Wolf tones.

Anyways, it became apparent that Jerry is actually using some delay on his clean tone, at least its audible on the official release. I dont think the MXR analog delay was released at this time. Is it possible he is using a tape delay?
 #166575  by sugarinthegourd

I like that album too. I’m curious about the delay — I’ll have to give it a listen and keep an ear out for that. Are there certain tracks/time marks where you are hearing that effect?

Thanks
John
 #166580  by caspersvapors

sugarinthegourd wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:04 pm I like that album too. I’m curious about the delay — I’ll have to give it a listen and keep an ear out for that. Are there certain tracks/time marks where you are hearing that effect?

Thanks
John
I heard it on some moments of the Not Fade Away, let me relisten and give you the actual marks
 #166585  by sugarinthegourd

mkaufman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:30 pm Clearly heard on JG's isolated track from Grateful Dead Movie DVD #2 .

ace
Wow, I didn’t know about that feature. Haven’t seen it since the VHS days but just ordered my DVDs!

I wonder if they added delay in mastering rather than live, on stage. The MXR analog delay came out in ’75 I think. So Jerry might not have had that pedal in ’74, but I bet he had one when he was working on the movie a year or two later. Or there were other studio options...