#165723  by Hitime

I am a novice player at the electric jerry thing I have a twin with the healy mods and sounds great and a sms jg also sounds great both very jerry,but now looking to get some pedals ,which jerry pedals do you use the most?I already have a lot of pedals in mind that he used just wondering what his most used and favorite ones were i like from 1973 on up thru the 80s if i t think he used much more than a way before that?
KilianGuitars liked this
 #165724  by lbpesq

A good place to start would be a Mutron III envelope filter. The original one, not the HAZ re-issue. They aren't cheap. If you find one, expect to pay at least $600 or $700, if not more. There are less expensive envelopes available that come close to the Mutron III. You should be able to find various discussions about them in this forum. He also used the Mutron Octaver - also not cheap these days - and, IIRC, an MXR distortion..

Bill, tgo
 #165728  by HeadSpace

No need to go whole hog off the bat. There are cheaper alternatives to the vintage mu-tron stuff that are perfectly viable, at least for starters. I'd get some kind of envelope filter (search here for opinions and reviews concerning literally a dozen or more options), an octave pedal (Boss OC-2 is just dandy and not too costly) and some dirt: Either a vintage MXR distortion + (the new ones blow, skip them), or a Whirlwind Gold Box, or maybe a Boss OD-2. You ought to be able to put those three effects together for a couple hundred bucks. Next I'd probably get an analog delay (I like the MXR Carbon Copy as a decent modern and not-too-expensive option) and finally a phaser, MXR phase 100 or similar. But the envelope, octave and dirt are where I'd go first.
 #165730  by PurpleTrails

HeadSpace wrote:No need to go whole hog off the bat. There are cheaper alternatives to the vintage mu-tron stuff that are perfectly viable, at least for starters. I'd get some kind of envelope filter (search here for opinions and reviews concerning literally a dozen or more options), an octave pedal (Boss OC-2 is just dandy and not too costly) and some dirt: Either a vintage MXR distortion + (the new ones blow, skip them), or a Whirlwind Gold Box, or maybe a Boss OD-2. You ought to be able to put those three effects together for a couple hundred bucks. Next I'd probably get an analog delay (I like the MXR Carbon Copy as a decent modern and not-too-expensive option) and finally a phaser, MXR phase 100 or similar. But the envelope, octave and dirt are where I'd go first.
I'd agree with these recommendations. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can build a divided octave kit from BYOC that is a dead ringer for the mutron octave pedal, but has better options for its power supply and is smaller. The kit is kinda pricey at $111 bare bones, but it will very likely sound better than the OC-2, though the boss is still an okay pedal.
pdriehaus liked this
 #165740  by Hitime

Thanks for the advice i started ordering pedals.I had most of.the pedals.mentioned on my list only one.not on my list was the octave divider sorry about the jibberish at the end of my original post what I meant to say was i don't think jerry had much effects before 1972 ,73? Maybe just a wah or vol pedal thanks again
 #166366  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Jerry's most used pedal, no question, the old MXR Distortion+ pedal. From '77 to '88 (maybe '89) this was his only dirt pedal. Old script version sounds best, but there are clones of the old script version to be found.

Most obvious and distinctive, the Mutron III. Various clones exist today if you can't find the real deal.

Also used here and there, MXR Phase 100. Older script versions sound a bit smoother, but modern is ok.

Also very nice to have: analog delay pedal - Jerry used MXR Analog Delay but there are so many options.

Octave divider is neat for more extreme effects. Early on it was the Mutron Octaver and later was the Boss OC-2.
tcsned, NeilG1, TI4-1009 and 3 others liked this
 #166375  by NeilG1

Thanks Brad - very useful
Do you have any MXR script distortion + clones that you particularly like, and are easy-ish to find?
I was looking a a Whirlwind Gold Box as a possibility - seemed likely to fit given it's built by old MXR hands.
Much appreciated
Pointclear, joshq liked this
 #166377  by NSP

NeilG1 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:56 am Thanks Brad - very useful
Do you have any MXR script distortion + clones that you particularly like, and are easy-ish to find?
I was looking a a Whirlwind Gold Box as a possibility - seemed likely to fit given it's built by old MXR hands.
Much appreciated
He may suggest this one ; )

http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/sf.html

I have one and absolutely love it.
NeilG1, Pointclear, brbadg liked this
 #166378  by smd1973

What is the difference between the solar flare and the earth drive? They are both overdrive pedals, correct?
 #166379  by lbpesq

I'm sure Mr. Sarno himself could describe this much better, but my understanding is that the Earth Drive is a Boost/Overdrive pedal, while the Solar Flare is a Distortion pedal.

Bill, tgo
 #166383  by Pointclear

I have a whirlwind goldbox that is really nice. There are great overtones and harmonics in the first half of the dial. I find it a little loose and trebly, and I often use a morning glory clone in front of it to tighten it up and to dial down the treble by running the morning glory’s tone all the way down.

I’m really curious about brad’s solar flare. It seems like it could do what the goldbox does with that needed tone control.
 #166414  by Sparque_Phiir

Just picked up an MXR/CAE MC-402 Boost/Overdrive. Seems pretty great so far. Anyone else tried these? Seems like a bit of a sleeper Distortion + type pedal with way more headroom and a clean boost.
 #166710  by 8-6-71 for me

Technically the most used Jerry effect is reverb.

And the most frequently played dead song is “Drums” so take it fwiw.

Mutron iii can be found on eBay for under $500. On reverb folks expect to get nearly $1,000 for the same unit bc it comes w the original box. Blah. I’ve had a half dozen of them. If I could only have one effect that was original (no clones) it’s this one. In fact if I could only have one effect period...

The 70s MXR script dist. is ROUGH. Get an earth drive.