#164254  by milobender
 Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am
CNC... HA! You certainly can do it by hand, I do it all the time, (ain't this boogie a mess) but to make any money doing it, that's a matter for CNC. Also, it's a bit problematic as the inside negative space of the lightning bolt is the actual opening covering, the bolt itself ends up being a lot bigger than the standard jack plate.
 #164255  by tntawney
 Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm
milobender wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am
CNC... HA! You certainly can do it by hand, I do it all the time, (ain't this boogie a mess) but to make any money doing it, that's a matter for CNC. Also, it's a bit problematic as the inside negative space of the lightning bolt is the actual opening covering, the bolt itself ends up being a lot bigger than the standard jack plate.
I’m sure you have perfected it by now, but I had trouble just making a rectangle. I know my attempt at a bolt would be pathetic. I can see your point about the negative space. The bolt jack plate wouldn’t be proportionate. An acid etched lightning bolt on a brass jack cover might be killer.
milobender liked this
 #164256  by milobender
 Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 pm
My granddaughter Tess is about to try her hand at engraving brass on a pickguard we have going. I'd imagine you might talk her into an engraved one instead of the etching "o)
 #164263  by kurt eye
 Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 am
tntawney wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 am
kurt eye wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am

Very Cool. I believe that is the first harmonica bridge I've seen on a strat...
Thanks! The harmonica bridge I bought off of EBay. It was a cheap Chinese copy of a Kluson. It was super lame and had to replace the saddles. I would recommend just buying a JG Kluson Harmonica bridge and save yourself the headache....

Here's a thread from someone who tried a kluson bridge on a strat but the string height was off. How did you achieve this on yours? Did you need to shim the neck pocket? Also what's fret board radius?

I'd love to try this myself.

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f=334&t=19948
Last edited by kurt eye on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #164271  by tntawney
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:30 am
kurt eye wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am

Here's a thread from someone who tried a kluson bridge on a strat but the string height was off. How did you achieve this on yours? Did you need to shim the neck pocket? Also what's fret board radius?

I'd love to try this myself.

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f=334&t=19948
The neck is a 2003, I think, American standard. It has the regular 9.5 radius c shape. A couple of strings had the sitar vibe, so I had to adjust a lot of things. I added an extra string tree to the headstock and the new saddles in the bridge helped a lot. I used graph tech saddles that had a pretty deep cut for the strings to sit in. I didn’t have to shim the neck pocket, but it would probably work also. You can buy a neck shim kit with different sizes from Stew Mac. I had fun with it and learned a lot of how not to do things. I had to route the back of guitar to fit the battery and extra wiring. The bridge that Waldo posted is the bridge I would use if I ever did another strat.
 #164273  by Jon S.
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:34 pm
Last week I bought a hammer drill to attach a new brass hose holder to my backyard outside wall. I'm too exhausted still to begin now on a Strat! :P
 #164274  by strumminsix
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:38 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:44 pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fixed-Hardtail ... 2749.l2649

This one hard tails a trem'd Strat and allows you to completely empty the back cavity and use it for a battery and a buffer if needed or wanted.

~waldo
Looks like the hot rod droptop deluxe bridge we talked about 15 years ago, dude.

Still have it on my old Strat :)
 #164279  by Jimv
 Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:02 pm
waldo041 wrote:

This one hard tails a trem'd Strat and allows you to completely empty the back cavity and use it for a battery and a buffer if needed or wanted.

~waldo
I put something very similar to this on my frankinstrat (looked for the heaviest one I could find). I left the tone block in because it still strings from the back, but blocked the entire back cavity w/hardwood... filled it in solid. I think it made a noticeable improvement in tone.
 #164285  by GeneralGoldilocks
 Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 pm
Here is a strat I just built recently. Definitely learned a lot
It sounds amazing. Warmoth body and neck
3 super 2's, with the dpdt switch for single parallel and humbucking, and wald's buffer, no OBEL. https://photos.app.goo.gl/REBR6KQfYLHwYSEk8
 #164301  by SellaV93
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 pm
waldo041 wrote:

~waldo
In your opinion, would it be best to move this bridge back a couple MM's from the original bridge placement? I seem to remember reading that somewhere for use with a Jer setup. Tightening the E & G saddles all the way works somewhat, but i'm thinking the different
placement would do the trick.
 #164302  by mgbills
 Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 pm
Hey SellaV93. You only need to skooch the bridge back if you want extreme string action. Otherwise you're right...E&G will be tough to intonate. You can also remove the springs between the movable saddle & the bridge & get close. But ...

What I've discovered through many hours of diddling with very high action is that at some point the act of fretting the note sharpens the interval a few cents. The further you raise the strings the worse it gets. So even if you get the intonation near perfect using harmonics and strategic fretting, you'll start to pick up sharp notes in other place. Some folks have ears that are so good that they can wiggle that note into a tonal center that corrects for this. I'm not that cool.

I love some action on my setup, but at some point there are just too many compromises.