#162139  by mgbills
 Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 pm
Now...I haven't committed to this course of action yet...but....
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -tube-head

I would love to hear this amp head through a JBL K120. A braver soul than I might just buy the combo & swap the speaker. For the musician who doesn't just do GD stuff this may just be awesome. The Mesa's I've owned (or own) have brilliant cleans, and it can be fun to add just a smidgeon of clean grit...on 6L6's....with a 1/2 power option. Jer did spend some time in MesaLand.

This is not to say that if you've got the cabbage for a Maestro ...that you shouldn't just drop the scratch. (If that is even possible at this point in history.?.?.) There is no equal for channeling the Highest Form of FatMan.

This would not be the cheapest option, but if was hauling crap out ever night I'd rather haul a 26 lb head with 1x cab. Hmmm.

I'm stuck on the coast as far west as one can plod, so I don't really need to explore AxeFx options for potability & direct-to-board simplicity. Nor do my skills warrant such a play. But I do like selective crap to a few jams here'n'there.

Suffice it to say my interest is peaked. I do love amplifiers. Mesa's are very robust & reliable.

One of you brave souls who is looking to chase some JerriTone-idge should pop for one of these and post some tasty clips.
Peace
M
tcsned liked this
 #162145  by tcsned
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 am
looks awesome! I love Boogies
 #162152  by Jon S.
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 pm
You might be interested in the ongoing 55-page thread on this amp at The Gear Page which includes links to test videos:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 0.1961840/

I'm interested in trying one, too. I'm playing as much or more ABB these days than Dead, this two channel amp might be a nice compromise for someone interested in such.
 #162155  by TI4-1009
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:48 pm
I saw that and it looks pretty interesting! But my Lonestar will just have to do for now... :-)
 #162169  by TI4-1009
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:30 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm
looks like someone is trying to court mister mayer!

~waldo
That was Katy Perry- old news. :lol:
 #162272  by Jon S.
 Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:51 am
FWIW I'm hearing from people who have already played the new amp that the cleans have a lot of midrange to them and that cranking up the clean voicing to 11 or more and digging in gets gritty. If these reviews are accurate, someone who wants a MESA for its wide range of tonalities and voicings but also wants to play Dead with the amp might do better with the Triple Crown 50 than the Fillmore 50 due to how the former's cleans are apparentlyt voiced relative to the Fillmore 50's. But this is just based on what I'm hearing about the amp, I still haven't played one personally.
 #162342  by ac4468
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:33 pm
Buddy of mine just got one a few days ago. He used to work for PRS so he picked up a 50w 1x12 PRS combo and wasn't happy with the build quality so he sent it back. They sent another and it too had some issues. Gave up on the PRS and bought the Fillmore combo and absolutely raves about it. Build quality and tone are in a completely different class and loves having 2 channels that have the same capabilities. I'll see how it sounds one of these days with my Wolf. First impressions are that it's a great little amp.
tcsned liked this
 #162879  by pablomago
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:06 am
Mesa just released the Fillmore 25 running 6V6's. I'm seriously considering this amp for the places I play. I have a vintage Altec 417 8H that I'd stick in it. I'm waiting for more real world data before I pull the trigger.