#162878  by pablomago
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:54 am
A good alternative that's easier on the wallet is the Maxon AF-9. I have an old one and have compared it side by side with a friend's vintage Mu-Tron and they are remarkably close. I would avoid the recent Ibanez AF-9 as it has a different circuit. (Maxon used to make the Ibanez pedals). The story I was told is that Maxon licensed the Mu-Tron circuit, only running it at 9V rater the 18V. The controls are identical.

The differences I found between the Mu-Tron and the Maxon is that the Maxon is harder to trigger and the Mu-Tron sustains a little bit longer.
 #162930  by BJolley
 Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:23 pm
Not sure if this is poor form to share here, but I lucked into getting one of the 50 Mictotron IIIs that were offered earlier this month and therefore have decided, much as I like them both, to sell my 3 Leaf Audio Proton -- which I have listed in Garage Sale for $165 shipped. Is the Microtron really $100+ better? No. In fact, they sound remarkably similar -- but it is a new toy that I want to keep and I don't have room for both...
 #162937  by chirills
 Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 pm
somedirection wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:01 pm
another vote for #1......

I have a newer gen Q Tron (not the old silver/green..came in wooden box onw) and it sounded really great. Very chewy. But it didn't have an output level control (so had to put one in it) and it has a giant footprint.

Microtron has been good for me, like small footprint. One of them crapped out on me (haven't sent it back yet) and I went back to my TruTron which I am liking a lot. Living with the footprint. So there's another option if you're open to a #3.....

Des
How did you add the output volume to the newer Qtron? I was able to do it in the big silver one, but don't really know how to do it in the smaller version.
 #162949  by waldo041
 Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm
chirills wrote:
somedirection wrote:

I have a newer gen Q Tron (not the old silver/green..came in wooden box onw) and it sounded really great. Very chewy. But it didn't have an output level control (so had to put one in it) and it has a giant footprint.

Microtron has been good for me, like small footprint. One of them crapped out on me (haven't sent it back yet) and I went back to my TruTron which I am liking a lot. Living with the footprint. So there's another option if you're open to a #3.....

Des
How did you add the output volume to the newer Qtron? I was able to do it in the big silver one, but don't really know how to do it in the smaller version.
I think you could get away with just using a volume pedal directly after it if you needed to.

~waldo
 #162951  by chirills
 Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:46 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm
chirills wrote:
somedirection wrote:

Des
I think you could get away with just using a volume pedal directly after it if you needed to.

~waldo
No room. Just wondering how to do it. I did it to my old one and it works pretty good, the xo's have the jacks on the pcb plus the hard wire switch
and that exceeds my ability to understand whats going on. Hopefully I won't jack it up trying tho. I actually prefer the q-tron's to the microtron I have, but the big one doesn't fit on my little board, getting to old to lug all the heavy stuff.
 #163780  by IRangASilentBell
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 pm
I got a little sidetracked after I posted this question. Thanks for everyone's input.

I guess it's between the Micro-Tron III and the 3 Leaf Proton. Looks like both are currently out of stock.

It sounds like the Micro is $45 more than the Proton but both are pretty similar in sound quality?
 #163792  by FOTM704
 Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:49 pm
I'm still hoping for a tru-tron 2

Never tried a microtron but small enclosure envelope filters have always sucked for me so I'm hesitant