#134881  by waldo041
 Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:04 pm
claytushaywood wrote:
waldo041 wrote:I admit i did generalize, but do feel those vintage 741's are special. You can have the "master" title.

~waldo
no they really are not, thats a bunch of bologna too. prove that. show me some data

*edit- that's regarding the same ic with a different manufacturer code like u741 vs ua741.

if you wanna say that the ic makes a small difference that's fine. trying to say its more important than the clipping diodes shows me that you have not built and experimented with these things that you're claiming. and if you have show some datasheets
Since they don't matter to you, If you are pulling vintage 741's , rc4558's, jrc4558's i will happily pay you the price their modern equivalents cost for each one. I don't mind that you or others consider them bologna at all.

~waldo
 #134933  by Pfallon
 Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:25 pm
Hi, I'm planning on installing a SWG buffer/blaster in my standard strat., replacing the middle tone with the blaster gain pot, and the master vol. with a 25k audio taper pot. Is there post in this forum(or anywhere else) diagraming the wiring schematic for this set up, with the buffer after the PU selector switch> OBEL, and the blaster after the master volume?
Thanks,
Pat
 #134936  by barefootdave
 Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:27 pm
Actually I didn't say that Alembic prices were dishonest, I was questioning the implication that they were. I have an Alembic guitar and also a bass from them, and think they are worth the price. I think those guys make nice products, and I am willing to pay for them. I feel the same way about my Moriarty. I guess that makes me a chump, but I have I gear I really like coming home to. I would also rather support creative people like Mike Beigel and Alembic personnel so they can make a living with their art. Nothing against those who want to find a more economical route, I just find it more worthwhile at this point in my life to buy the good stuff and be done with it.
 #136920  by tatittle
 Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 pm
I love both the Blasters and the Dist+ a lot. I am partial to Jerry's days with a 7.25" radius and the vibrato bends he was so good at that become almost physically impossible with a flatter fretboard. I have both modern Alembic, a vintage black plastic one, and a pedal a guy made for me. I haven't critically compared them on the same guitar/rig though.

I have compared my script 75-76-ish Dist+ (made by guitar players board but not carbon comps I don't think) with a later block logo. The older one was definitely warmer/smoother sounding. Incidentally my block logo had an LM741 chip (same as script). It sounded more aggressive to my ears. Slightly of course.
 #162875  by JimijackJonez
 Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:45 pm
Hey Now!, fellow guitar freaks I’m loving this thread. I’m looking to put a Stratocaster in my custom Strat I built. Anyone here make them? Please let me know!!
I thought I saw someone offering them but I’m new to the forum and seemed to have lost the conversation. If anyone can hook me up I’d be glad to get one. Alembic is an obvious option but if someone can possibly offer this without the switch as well that would be cool. Unless it’s completly nessarry? I would rock it all the time and figure it would go passive when the battery dies, yes?
Cheers
P.S. I’ve been Revisiting 2/26/73 ripping show! Anyone know if Jerry was still playing the Aligator here? Thx!
 #162876  by pablomago
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:42 am
I have two SB circuit boards someone around here gave me some years ago. One is almost complete, but I need a transistor and I think one of the caps. I'm planning on putting it in my slide guitar, a hardtail parts Strat that currently has a P-90 and a Humbucker, but I have another pickguard wired up with three Strat pickups, a custom wound Lollar and a couple of more generic SC's. (Lowell George influence)

Where can I get a couple of the trannys?
 #162877  by pablomago
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:44 am
JimijackJonez wrote:

P.S. I’ve been Revisiting 2/26/73 ripping show! Anyone know if Jerry was still playing the Aligator here? Thx!
I believe so. He was using it at Kezar Stadium in SF a few months later.
JimijackJonez liked this
 #162882  by Jon S.
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:49 am
This is an awesome Stratoblaster-based pedal (it's not an exact clone - In a Premier Guitar interview, the builder described the pedal as such: "“It’s similar to the old Alembic Stratoblaster in a pedal form”). It's not cheap but it's built like a tank and sounds great. I love mine both as the first pedal my guitar output sees, as well as in the effect loops of some of my amps where it seems to affect the sound similar to how an exciter might.

https://www.xacttone.com/products/pegasus-boost.html

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... -13?page=2

#162885  by waldo041
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:44 am
People who use a "stratoblaster" type of circuit in pedal form are no where near a real Alembic Blaster. The power supply has to be filtered so hard that you lose headroom and output with an original? Whats the fix? Change the transistor and/or filter the power supply as stated. Doing either or both will make a difference. They may look similar on paper. But they are not. Lets also not forget that you cannot simply use the same circuit with a different transistor like most sell. The transistor is biased in the original circuit for the original transistor. The new transistor needs to be biased correctly as well if you want to get close.

Get the original from Alembic, Ron has his own stock of the transistors he has always used.

You know it is actually super easy to breadboard a blaster and find out for yourself what it all does.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #162886  by Jon S.
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 am
All respectfully stated opinions are valid, helpful, and appreciated. :-)

I have what I believe is an original or close to an original Stratoblaster in my SF Wolf to compare with my SB in pedal form. Personally, I'm fine with either but readily acknowledge that others can differ - how close one tone actually comes to another, how tolerant we are of the differences we do hear, and whether the second tone is as practically useful in context to a given guitarist as the first, is an individual decision.
 #162887  by waldo041
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 am
Can i ask a few questions? How can anyone side by side tone test any effect with 2 different guitars or setups, or one in pedal form and the other one onboard? How can you make any sort of judgement with 2 different hypothesis?

~waldo
MattMan, Jon S. liked this
 #162888  by aiq
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 am
Thanks thread, just ordered an Alembic. I like the drop in design and off on switch near my hand.

That pedal looks good but I just redid my smaller and smaller still pedal boards and have zero desire to get back in there.

Since I will drop it into my Squier lipstick Strat I can easily remove in case of future sale.
 #162889  by Gr8fulCadi
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 am
I purchased a SB from Alembic a couple years ago. It’s in a natural strat w/ cs69’s. I have two strats, one with a Wald buffer which is truly awesome and the other with the Alembic SB, which is truly awesome. Point being? Both are truly awesome!! :cool: Enjoy!
milobender liked this
 #162890  by waldo041
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 am
I have an original Alembic SB with an E230, it is awesome and so is Wickersham!

~waldo
 #162894  by MikeMcA
 Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:20 pm
JimijackJonez wrote:
it would go passive when the battery dies, yes?
You might think (I did) but no. When the battery dies the blaster dies. I discovered this quickly when the tester battery my tech left in the guitar expired about an hour after I got it home from the shop.

Remember to unplug the cable from your guitar when you're not playing to extend the battery life.