#162547  by MattMan
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:18 pm
Incaroads77 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:29 pm

You do know i'm a customer of yours right?

-Vic
As a customer, why would you be so aggressive with your comments? Clearly you value the time, energy and business that Waldo has created or you wouldn't spend your $ with him! Why is it that everybody thinks this information should be free? Call your local A/C tech next time your heating coil dies and ask for schematics, part numbers, installation instructions, details, etc., and then get mad when they quote you labor and parts rates. The spirit of the Grateful Dead was based on learning how to make a living at your craft. "I love your tie dyes, but teach me how to make one so I don't have to buy yours." Really? I have and will continue to be grateful for supporting Waldo's business whenever I can. You want me to teach about business statistics beyond what you can get for free from the web? Register for my executive to executive series. Reasonable $ but not free. I worked hard for my PhD and like Waldo, I'm an entrepreneur too. You have the choice to take your business elsewhere.
 #162558  by Incaroads77
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 am
MattMan wrote:
Incaroads77 wrote:

-Vic
As a customer, why would you be so aggressive with your comments? Clearly you value the time, energy and business that Waldo has created or you wouldn't spend your $ with him! Why is it that everybody thinks this information should be free? Call your local A/C tech next time your heating coil dies and ask for schematics, part numbers, installation instructions, details, etc., and then get mad when they quote you labor and parts rates. The spirit of the Grateful Dead was based on learning how to make a living at your craft. "I love your tie dyes, but teach me how to make one so I don't have to buy yours." Really? I have and will continue to be grateful for supporting Waldo's business whenever I can. You want me to teach about business statistics beyond what you can get for free from the web? Register for my executive to executive series. Reasonable $ but not free. I worked hard for my PhD and like Waldo, I'm an entrepreneur too. You have the choice to take your business elsewhere.
i asked him wether or not the FYD was like the Maestro twin. In so many words he told me that no; he wouldn;t tell me if it was or wasn't. Then, said that he didn't have to time to explain how an amp works to someone that has no idea what they're doing (insulting) and then directed me to ask other owners of a Maestro, because his shop is closed. Which is pretty much frowned upon. I'm aggressive? I'd rather be that than other things....lolol. I'm not the only person that i'm aware of that laughs at some of the business practiced here.
 #162559  by Incaroads77
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am
milobender wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:11 am
+1
TNSTAAFL
Balance, equal exchange, that's what this universe is made of.
Oh... so rukind isn't a "two way street?" where people "generously share" insights into audio advancement? It's just "hey i want that amp" and "okay give me a couple grand"

Because that seems to be what it is. I'm being roasted for not doing that....and asking questions. What is this the mob?
 #162562  by Incaroads77
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am
MattMan wrote:
Incaroads77 wrote:

-Vic
In NO way, does the "spirit of rukind" align with the "spirit of the Grateful Dead"
 #162568  by strumminsix
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40 pm
Incaroads77 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am
In NO way, does the "spirit of rukind" align with the "spirit of the Grateful Dead"
So Waldo has invested tens of thousands of dollars to research, 20+ years of his life, many thousands on the bench, ran a small company to supplement his family, and put out a product that started from his incomplete GD research and improved from there with his own mods.... But because he won't tell you his knowledge for free he's not kind and others who understand his position aren't kind???? WOW!
 #162569  by Jon S.
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:09 pm
What one chooses to share with others of his knowledge and experience is always a personal decision.

I, for one, choose to share my 3 decades plus professional and academic knowledge routinely with others free of charge (one example: http://www.epaalumni.org/Classroom/). Why do I do it? Certainly not for ego, money, or acclimation. I'm embarrassed, frankly, even to be referencing it here (with 8 or more years here now, I can't even recall previously referencing my day job skills). I do it because I believe in it, in sharing the light, and in helping others in this way. This is my personal decision for myself that no one else must copy.

And so, my friends, let's not paint with too a broad brush generalizations on sharing or not sharing one's knowledge and experience. Surely we can acknowledge and respect another person's different limits without projecting them universally. That's all I want to say now on this topic because were I to truly speak freely and further now on the topic at hand it would burn off both of your ears and that would absolutely not be in the spirit of the Grateful Dead.
Last edited by Jon S. on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #162570  by Jon S.
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:24 pm
And BTW, may I second (or third?) the comment(s) posted previously on what a great and helpful thread this is, just as it is. Thanks again to everyone participating.
 #162573  by MattMan
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:55 pm
Incaroads77 said:

"i asked him wether or not the FYD was like the Maestro twin. In so many words he told me that no; he wouldn;t tell me if it was or wasn't. Then, said that he didn't have to time to explain how an amp works to someone that has no idea what they're doing (insulting) and then directed me to ask other owners of a Maestro, because his shop is closed."

Actually, you said "the root of my curiosity started when Dan Lurie wouldn't provide me with a layout after i purchased an amp from him. Just told me what tubes where what...so i could attempt to reverse engineer a general layout. I'm asking how different they are. I am not asking for a schematic, or layout, diagram, etc."

But you are asking for more than what the recipient chose to share. Why would you expect anybody to give you a schematic of their product? Wonder if Brad gives out schematics of the CTP so people can reverse engineer it?

Knowing Waldo and Brad from anectodal and somewhat from personal experience, you probably would have received many detailed answers off list in personal conversations and after giving some confidence to them that you'd respect any of their requests.

I'd say yes, just like the GD charged for tickets, records, merchandise, etc, and looked the other way for taping, Rukind contains a wealth of free information embedded with some entrepreneurship.

There's been a few studies of the GD business approach. The approach is triple bottom line because everyone is trying to make a living and raise their families and support sustainability efforts. Choice theory plays a big role too--choice to give away, choice to charge, choice to say this is BS.

For the record, the FYD is a Twin clone preamp with a reverb tank. What more do you need to know?
 #162575  by hippieguy1954
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:08 pm
Arguing with and harassing someone about their proprietary in itself is unkind and bullyish from the get go.
 #162582  by waldo041
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:55 am
 #162583  by Incaroads77
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:15 am
MattMan wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:55 pm
Incaroads77 said:

Wonder if Brad gives out schematics of the CTP so people can reverse engineer it?

Just about every company provides detailed schematics of their stuff. And by reverse engineer, i only meant that i wanted to know so i could do mods on an amp i paid a grand for. Fair. You people are hilarious. I have a tone i love and i didn't get it from anything anybody posted here. The FYD is a twins preamp. Remember?

P.S. i don't need convincing to halt any further purchases from Mike Wald. Getting help from him was like pulling teeth. Unless he thinks you're a middle aged man or a 60 year old tech, he will treat you as less than. As backed up by countless incidents in the library that is RUkind. Y'all enjoy now.
 #162584  by Incaroads77
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:41 am
hippieguy1954 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:08 pm
Arguing with and harassing someone about their proprietary in itself is unkind and bullyish from the get go.
Read the thread. Yeah i argued after i simply asked a question that was met with a barrage of backhanded remarks. When someone insults me i don't act like a pussy.
 #162585  by strumminsix
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:24 am
Anything left to discuss in this thread? If not locking it. It's now an fight fest.