#162414  by PaulJay
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 am
Hey, I just bought a Sarno preamp from eBay. I already own a Rocktron v-300 that Is hooked up to a H&K Blues master. I am trying to decide if I should use the Rocktron with the SMS and sell the H&K.
The other thing is does anyone have opinions on the Rocktron compared to a Carvin DCM-200? I don’t use the H&K rig that often.
So I won’t miss it. I would rather not have to buy another power amp.
Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction. ,Paul
 #162441  by waldo041
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:46 pm
Ditch the H&K and Rocktron and get a Mosvalve MV-962 or better yet an McIntosh MC50. That would end your solid state amp search.

~waldo
strumminsix liked this
 #162444  by kralltime
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:40 pm
I like the Rocktron with the SMS, but I like the Mc50 with it better. If you're gonna gig with the Mc50, you can keep the Rocktron around as a backup. The issue I had with the Rocktron is it can overheat and shut down on you... is yours an older one with the fans on the side?
 #162445  by PaulJay
 Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:54 pm
I have the newer one space v-300 with an internal fan.
What would be the positive differences between the mosvalve and
the Rocktron? I am not seeing any mv-962 or mc-50’s up for sale right now. Thanks Guys
 #162560  by PaulJay
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am
Hey, I ended up getting a really nice deal on a Carvin DCM-200L to go with the SMS pre. I have done a lot of reading of old threads on the combination. I would like to run the power amp in to one 8 ohm Jbl.
I am trying to find out what impedance switch to set and if the parallel
Switch should be in or out. I am a little confused after all the info I have read. Can anyone give some simple directions how to do this. I don’t want to blow anything. Thanks Paul
 #162572  by TeeJay
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:25 pm
Hey Paul- The parallel switch just sends the input signal to both channels of the amp so no Y cable from the preamp is needed. If you are just using one channel for a single speaker it would be N/A.

The impedance switch for 8ohms switch out is 100w, switch in is 60w.
 #162579  by Jon S.
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:38 pm
PaulJay wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am
I ended up getting a really nice deal on a Carvin DCM-200L to go with the SMS pre. I have done a lot of reading of old threads on the combination. I would like to run the power amp in to one 8 ohm Jbl.
Congrats on a nice score!

I think your SMS into your Carvin into one 8 ohm JBL will sound nice.

It will look like this (to the right, obviously):

and sound like this (the lead guitar). [Note - I'm actually not 100% certain the speaker cab here is actually a 1X12 JBL - I just can't remember now.]

https://soundcloud.com/gratefuljon/than ... e-my-uncle
 #162580  by PaulJay
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 pm
Hey Jon, thanks. I’ve read many of your posts over the years and they have always been very informative. I like the playing and tone on that recording of me and my uncle. Those 2 rigs look outstanding.
 #162581  by kurt eye
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 am
A while back I posted a comparison of an SMS pre into an MC-50 vs a Carvin DCM200L. I believe it was Jon S. who gave me the advice of increasing the bass on SMS when using the Carvin to sound more Mac-like. Previously I'd have my bass zero'ed out, and the Carvin sounded thin in the mids and highs. Upping the bass a few notches really improved the tone.
tntawney liked this
 #162586  by Jon S.
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:44 am
Indeed, this is how I prefer setting my SMS into my Carvin to get as close as possible ("as close as possible" - not saying "exactly") to my FYD into my MC50: