#161815  by gratefuliii
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:25 am
I have an American Strat from about 1984 --- I want to add a few things like humbuckers, effects loop, preamp, piezo/synthisizer pickup, and coil tapping. Does anyone have a site or resource to purchase the needed equipment to come close to what Jerry used? Any suggestions as to how and what is appreciated.
thanks
 #161816  by PurpleTrails
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:21 pm
You are in the right place here in terms of figuring out the what, but you're going to have to hit a few sites to actually collect everything you're going to need to "Jerry-fy" your strat. Good news is that an '84 should have the swimming pool rout already, so you're not going to have to do a ton of mods to accommodate the new pups.

The basics are:

Humbuckers: Dimarzio SD2's or vintage dualsounds (middle and bridge; debate on what to use as a single coil neck)
No piezo. Rosebud had a midi, but I would think it would be fairly problematic to fit it in a strat
Buffer for the OBEL circuit (Mike Wald, who is a very active member here, makes a good one, as does CAE)
9v battery to power the OBEL
25k volume pot
2 stereo output jacks (and you're going to have to fashion a plate to accommodate them in the existing strat jack opening)
DPDT switch for the OBEL, either more for the coil splits on the humbuckers or push-pull/push-push pots.

If you go the single coil neck/HB middle route you are probably cobbling together a 250k/500k tone knob, or compromising on a 300k one.

You should also peruse Wald's site, where there are Wolf and Tiger wiring diagrams.

http://dozin.com/jers/guitars.html

Also, there have been some really good threads here on modding guitars.
 #161818  by TI4-1009
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:03 pm
Welcome! Yup, the search feature is your friend. All that has been discussed here over and over over the last 10 years (over :-) ). Dig and digest, come back with questions.
strumminsix liked this
 #161825  by waldo041
 Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:02 am
leo at scarlet fire guitars

or

Brian at IO Customs

or

Gary Brawer in San Francisco

~waldo
 #161876  by gdrfk1990
 Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:08 am
I wouldn't drastically alter this guitar as you don't need to... If it has 3 single coils I would get the Fender custom 69's or Clapton.. There are some boutique brands you can find on here... Get a brass nut and a "Killer" brass replacement bridge. add a wald electronics buffer and you will have a nice sounding guitar.

If you want a humbucker guitar you might be best served to just build from scratch. I get great compliments on the guitars I get built by warmoth. You just have them make whatever you want. So they make the strat body with humbuckers, battery box etc. then you assemble or have assembled