#161821  by Trecia
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:37 pm
There’s never a cheaper than the amp you already have. (Unless someone offers you another amp+ cash for your amp... in which case that one’s cheaper... maybe)
Unless you care to share what venue or practice space or recording ends you’re trying to meet specifically, I recommend keeping your amp and fiddling with the knobs and playing your ass off until you can play a dozen Garcia songs well enough so they sound good on whatever you pick up: acoustic, archtop, les Paul, tele, backpacker guitar etc.

IMO Jerry’s sound is not complicated, and that’s what’s great about it.
He wanted transparency and he was from an Audio era that was struggling to achieve that. Today most folks are trying to reclaim the magic from a time before limitless clean headroom and sterile, efficient speakers were the norm.

Essentially the Jerry amp sound is a Fender sound. Nearly every amp sold in stores today has a fine clean sound... if not supposed to be a Fender specifically.

The guys going to the Nth degree here or anywhere else are persuing very specific responses and nuances achieved in live performance settings on loud stages. Loud stages aren’t the norm anymore.

Line6 is one of my least favorite brands of amps/FX (some peopleI know like it), but unless you’re regularly playing shows for more than 100 enthusiastic dead heads who are hanging on every note you play, and who are so impressed with the sound you’re getting out of that crappy line6 amp that after every show they want to come up and talk to you about it... and offer to have you play through their boutique preamp and vintage restored Mac and custom JBL speaker enclosure just so they can hear you play it... upgrade is not worth it... based on the info provided.
Last edited by Trecia on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #161822  by TI4-1009
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:50 pm
Cheap Jerry tone, or Jerry tone cheap?
strumminsix liked this
 #161823  by GeneralGoldilocks
 Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:31 pm
I'ld go Fender Blues Junior, although they are not super cheap, they are great amps that will get you real close at a low price point. As far as guitars go, there are so many cheap partscasters out there that sound good, it is hard to know where to start. a mexican strat would work great, or even cheaper, a squier strat from china or indonesia.
 #161824  by waldo041
 Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:19 am
I cut my Jerry tone chops on an acoustic guitar. If you can get that to sound like Jerry then you are ready to move to the next step. A strat and fender tube amp. Then your search of the Rig Sound will begin.

No such thing as a cheap Jerry Tone with the hands or the gear! A ton of good and bad information located within this forum.

Be sure to look and ask for samples of what people are advising, some guys here have NO IDEA what they are talking about and could have you wasting money in the long run.

Best of Luck,

~waldo
strumminsix, sw72, Trecia liked this
 #161847  by strumminsix
 Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:19 am
Be sure to look and ask for samples of what people are advising
This is solid advice. In real life I remind people not to take advice from people with fucked up lives. On the internet I don't take gear and tone advice unless they can back it up with good clips.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #161851  by williamsaut
 Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 pm
I agree with the Blues Jr comments. Perhaps with a speaker change and a stratoblaster in front. Then any single coil or coil tapping guitar. It
might not sound exactly like Jerry but will sound great.
 #161852  by PurpleTrails
 Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 pm
Waldo is right: start with the fingers and go on from there...and don't ignore the right hand. For me getting the dynamics right with a pick and while finger picking, and doing the switch between the two fluidly has always been tougher than the left hand technique.
 #161913  by kurt eye
 Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:15 am
In my opinion a strat style guitar and clean fender style amp with a JBL is a very good platform for Jerry tone.
 #161917  by Jon S.
 Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:28 am
When John Lennon sang, “You tell me it's the institution, well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead,” was his response misinformation or simply a differing viewpoint? :idea:

OP, you asked us how to get Jerry tone on the cheap.

There are two elements to your question: Jerry tone; and cheap.

Don’t make the common mistake of making the perfect the enemy of the good and affordable.

For starters, keep experimenting with and adjusting the gear you already own. It's possible there's more already there for you than you currently know!

This being said, count me in with those who advise a MIM Strat into an MXR Micro Amp into a Blues Junior as a quite serviceable starting point. You can enjoy and gig Jerry’s music just fine with this rig as I've seen and heard others (like my late close friend and fellow Thankful Dads guitarist, Jim McLeod) do.

Lastly, never lose sight of the fact that Jerry himself wasn't copying others’ tones. He blazed his own trail and advised us to do the same: “Everybody has something to say. I really feel that you can’t avoid finding your own voice if you keep playing. You have a voice, whether you recognize it or not.” GP Oct. 1978.

Keep playing and best of luck to you in your quest.

P.S. In the spirit of "experimenting with what you already own," here’s an old clip of me using Line 6’s Tron Up model (inspired by the MuTron III) preceded by their Boost Comp model (inspired by the MXR Micro Amp). Purists will find thirteen reasons why the envelope filter sound isn’t sufficiently authentic but the audience ate it up and I had a blast. :D

https://soundcloud.com/gratefuljon/track-4-wav-clip
strumminsix liked this
 #161922  by waldo041
 Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:58 am
I think it was Jerry that said somewhere about getting good tone, something like. "first you need to know what good tone is".

I wonder what Type of guitars Freddie and BB were playing in those days?

~waldo
strumminsix, MattMan liked this
 #161923  by wleeds
 Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:57 pm
OP - nothing wrong with a Squier Classic Vibe strat into a Blues JR.
Play, play and play....and when you're done, play some more.
the tone will come the more you play.
it really is in the hands at the end of the day. watch the youtube vid with Jerry playing Elvis Costello's jazz master, he sounds like......Jerry
 #162032  by gdrfk1990
 Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:01 am
Depends what you mean by Cheap and what you will be using it for?

If you are gigging I would not recommend the Blues Jr. It gets a great Jerry Tone at low volumes when practicing But once you turn it up it's more of a blues tone.

I think the Hot Rod deluxe Might be the minimum I would go there.

I personally like the Deluxe Reverb Blackface reissue (It's not Cheap though) and I also find once you turn it up you lose the tone... I have gotten by with this for years with many compliments on my tone. For me it's great when you have a 4 piece but add a loud 2nd guitar or keyboard and you will have to turn up to where you lose the tone.

Like Waldo said though the best way to develop good tone is with an acoustic that's how I practice. I pretty much only use my amp at gigs these days. The Jerry style tone seems to rely on soft picking and fingering and the interplay between the 2. Also playing the electric not plugged in will help you get a feel for the tone.

BTW the cheapest amp is the one you have is the line 6 a modeling amp. if so try the Fender Blackface setting crank the Treble Drop the bass.. Use a single coil in the middle position and fiddle from there