#161208  by deadSince87
 Fri May 04, 2018 10:49 am
I know that there is nothing like a JBL, but they are becoming increasingly more difficult to come across and tend to be rather pricey.

One of the better clones, the Eminence Commonwealth also has been "discontinue", but I have learned that if you contact Eminence, they'll make you the speakers as a custom order. They will still be cheaper than the Beyma Liberty 8 or a JBL.

Just thought I'd share for those of us on a budget.
Good day to all.
 #161209  by Erbis
 Fri May 04, 2018 12:11 pm
I have a friend who is a prototype maker whom I have taken a speaker to and asked how much he would charge to make an exact copy... $12000... I'm wondering if there is a way to get a crowd sourced company started that pools money, gets a prototype made along with the tooling and starts to again make these? Let's say people put up $250 with the guarantee that they would get one exact brand new copy of these...thats only 48 people...im sure there is at least double that in this community alone of people who want a brand new jbl clone
 #161210  by MattMan
 Fri May 04, 2018 12:33 pm
We have a very good speaker tech in the Detroit suburbs that makes recones the JBLs to specs. You can get essentially a new E120 or K120 for <$200. So what you do is find any e120 or k120 that needs to be reconed, buy it for cheap on ebay and send it to this guy. He's got some E120s in the shop now for reconing. One is mine unless you beat me to it. Tell him MattMan sent you. https://www.facebook.com/spiralrecone/
 #161212  by waldo041
 Fri May 04, 2018 6:28 pm
MattMan, Incaroads77 liked this
 #161218  by MattMan
 Mon May 07, 2018 5:50 am
There is nothing like a JBL E120 for your Jer tone (if that's what you're going for). I remember early conversations with Waldo about guitar speakers, and I was adamantly arguing in favor of the EVM 12Ls I had. Waldo was like, well, sure those are good speakers, but they're not JBL e120. When I finally got my first JBL speakers I was amazed at the difference. Not a subtle difference-- pretty dramatic!
 #161221  by deadSince87
 Mon May 07, 2018 11:01 am
Eribis: the rep said that it would be the original price of the Commonwealth speaker </~ $200.

Wasn't aware of the other company that makes the clones, I'll definitely look into that as well.

From the posts on Jerry rigs with sound, I agree, there's nothing like a JBL, but I have a budget, and these speakers are getting spendy as they are an endangered species if you will :)
 #161222  by Erbis
 Mon May 07, 2018 1:09 pm
I was basically wanting to crowd source the funds needed to perfectly copy a jbl e120 or k120 from a perfect condition jbl e120 that I have and set up.the tooling needed to start a new speaker company that mass produces these speakers...for the cost of 60 commonwealth speakers, someone could have all the steps and knowledge needed to create a company that could keep these exact speakers in production...
deadSince87 liked this
 #161223  by waldo041
 Mon May 07, 2018 2:07 pm
:thewave: :cool:

~waldo
 #161224  by Erbis
 Mon May 07, 2018 2:54 pm
I'm curious if jbl has some sort of patent on these speakers or if there would be a small improvement to the design that could get around the patent if there is one? Like maybe using hard plastic for the frame instead of the aluminium?
 #161226  by Staemius
 Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 am
I love my K-120 double cab but have been experimenting with a Purple Haze lately - I feel I don't always push the k-120's enough to get past the 'brittle' aluminum cap sound sometimes and the Purple Haze avoids that and will get you in JBL territory (but is expensive). I'd also recommend an older Peavy Black Widow with aluminum cap and interchangeable basket - great sounding IMO and can still be found on the cheap.
 #161230  by deadSince87
 Tue May 08, 2018 10:24 am
eribis,
Ah I get it and I do like the idea.

Re: the patent.
From my understanding, patents expire after 10 years. There is generally an option to renew, but usually not granted. This is how Mojotone (and others) are able to sell kits for the AB763 amplifiers.
 #161231  by Jon S.
 Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm
Staemius wrote:
I love my K-120 double cab but have been experimenting with a Purple Haze lately - I feel I don't always push the k-120's enough to get past the 'brittle' aluminum cap sound sometimes and the Purple Haze avoids that and will get you in JBL territory (but is expensive). I'd also recommend an older Peavy Black Widow with aluminum cap and interchangeable basket - great sounding IMO and can still be found on the cheap.
Just looked it up. Interesting that they have paper dustcaps. Your experienced view of that, tonewise?
 #161239  by waldo041
 Tue May 08, 2018 4:22 pm
Staemius wrote:
My Experienced view is this, if the K120's are brittle or "Ice Picky" then the preamp and or amp is not set up correctly. Even at a lower volume! It is not the Dust cap causing it. This usually turns out to be an impedance mismatch from preamp to amp. The preamps output capacitor and the amps input resistance create a High Pass Filter. Get it wrong and you will lose all the low end. The speaker won't fix that. The problem is further exasperated with the amazing dB level of 103 for the e120!

4 Inch Voice Coil

~waldo
hippieguy1954 liked this