#161121  by Mithrandir

I know that this is mostly opinion based but I'd like some input from all willing participants. Scarletfire is building me a wolf, and I just always assumed I'd put David Allen voodoos in it. I have them in a strat and love them for the most part. However, they seem to always remain forward in the mix with a certain thwack or intensity even with tone and volume rolled off. I got a set of porter pickups 60s set (they're early sixties designed) and they have the same great aspects of the voodoos but aren't as forward sounding.

Point being, do you guys think I should stick with voodoos in the wolf, or should I go earlier 60's? I know the porters are good and that rocket fire makes a great set.
 #161124  by Jon S.

I think you should trust yourself - your own judgment - on this decision. And not only because you seem to be an intrinsically analytical/processing type generally but also because, if the DA PUPs can't do for you in a Wolf, that's may be a sign that what you're ultimately seeking is more idiosyncratic than derivative. Just my 2 cents. Others will likely add more tangible recommendations, e.g., Fender Custom Shop '69's.
 #161125  by chrisdher

Just my 2 cents worth. I wind pickups (though I'm not trying to sell you a set) and my humble opinion is that they should be around 6k ish neck 6.2k middle and 6.3k/6.4k bridge. Alnico 5 magnets, flat poles.
A set that would clean up when you roll off and get a touch of grit on their own, although you might not need any for a Jerry show.
You have to try to mate the pickups with the guitar. I've found that light resonant guitars work well with lower output pickups but heavy guitars tend to sound thin and ice pick with them.
A wolf would lean on the heavy side I'm sure.
 #161134  by lovetoboogie

I stumbled upon these by kismet 2 years ago...they went into my ash Strat with a blaster. It absolutely nails everything Alligator-ish. Not sure how this would play into Wolf but depending on what era we are talking, these would be perfect for 73'-74' Wolf.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/accessori ... 37000.html