#39070  by Billbbill

So this is kinda long...yea I know, a good number of you don't even like the boys longer versions...whatever 8)

Complete w/ usual mistakes! On sale now!

Seriously, I had tab for my take on the intro somewhere on this site but I'll be damned if I can find it. :D I'll post it later.

#39080  by frankielee

BRAVO! Nice job Bill...One of my favorite tunes(probably in my top five)...Long or short? either way is fine by me. I dig the acoustic version on Reckoning...Be interesting to hear you play it that way.Anyway thanks again for ALL of your posts

#39104  by CaptainTrips

Great video ~ :smile:

#39106  by broomhead

super.. this and ship of fools are my current heavy distortion sols I've been playing round with.The videos great inspiration and assistance! Thanks a ton. joe

#39117  by Billbbill

Thanks guys

I just love this one. The bulk of the tune with minor scale/tone emphasis as you make your way through I'll call it despair and utter surrender to the transition w/ the Am to A7, the A7 pointing toward and then resolving to the D maj (Take up your China Doll...) instead of the D minor as it had before, where the major scale beakons toward hope or light at the end of the tunnel - gives me the chills. Then to follow through with the D-G-D major scale jam where hope shines.

Damn - I'm gettin all sappy.

Anyway, here's my take on the intro - disclaimer: this w/o really sitting down and disecting jg's

(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|--------1-----------1-----------1-----------1--
B|-----------3-----------3-----3-----3--------3--
G|--2-----------0-----------------------------2--
D|-----0-----------0--------3-----------2h3-2-0--
A|-----------------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------

I'll post my scale thoughts on the verse lead next.

#39148  by broomhead

yes! I'd love to see a post on what exactly your thoughts are on the solo there are a few really interesting things going on and yu seem to nail it really well..It's a super emotional song and you got it down. thx a ton!

joe

#39174  by amyjared

Thanks for the vids! Keep em coming! I always liked playing this one, so it's nice to see some leads, fills, etc. I'd love to see a link in the video section to all the recent vids you've done! I can't keep track, but it gives me much to work on as a guitarist, so for that I am grateful. Thank you.

#39248  by Billbbill

So here's some of my thinking for the verse lead, scale wise anyway -

Dm-------------------D Aeolian - D E F G A Bb C
Fmaj7----F Ionian - F G A Bb C D E
Bo7--B Locrainian Add Ab - B C D E F G Ab A
Bb--------------Bb Lydian - Bb C D E F G A
A7---A Phrygian Add C# A Bb C C# D E F G
Dm as above
F as above
C---------------C Mixolydian - C D E F G A Bb

So the Dm, F, Bb & C are all the same notes and the others have only minor differences that generally highlight the chord tones.

I'm not even touching on chromatics though there's a bunch of possibilities.

The scale over the Bo7 is what I settled on but I've messed around with a bunch of different looks. I'm certainly not saying my thinking here is THE deal with this. As a matter of fact it's more from my own ear than any palpable study of jg's approach.

I'm doing a decent amount of bending from a half step back of the targeted tone. Gives a nice mournful flavor.

The end of the first verse to beginning of the 2nd I'm bending the C note to a C# over the A7, thus the 3rd of A, and then bending another half step for a whole step bend to begin the 2nd verse to the D note for the Dm.

In case you didn't catch it my timing in the second verse from the Bb to the A is a beat or so early. And the tempo is a bit rushed, hell from just about right off the bat - I think I get to the Bo7 a hair early. Oh well.

Good thing I bought that metronome that I haven't used yet about a month ago. :?
Last edited by Billbbill on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

#39265  by CaptainTrips

You really are such a great member of this site. You really do go to great lengths to help people learn from your videos, and Id just again like to say thank you!

#39267  by Billbbill

Thanks for the kind words Captain, but this is a selfish endeavor as well as I'm getting a bunch out of it.

It's been a great help to ME to put the time and effort into laying this stuff out in an objective fashion.

Not to mention when folks point out where I'm wrong or what help I could use. Laying out this modal stuff is a learning process for me. Not exactly one of my strong points!

So as usual, if I've screwed up, help a brother out. :cool:

#39269  by astroman99

Bill, nice job , I think your singing has gone up a notch, good job, nice fretborad, what kind of guitar is that...nice humbuckers baby!!!

#39271  by 1960strat

great job Bill. one of my favorites. I found myself singin the "la-la-la-la-lala" parts!!

#39317  by Billbbill

astroman99 wrote:Bill, nice job , I think your singing has gone up a notch, good job, nice fretborad, what kind of guitar is that...nice humbuckers baby!!!
Thanks. Really? tehe. Except for the first couple of lines and I sorta blow the end a bit I thought I did pretty well. For me. For me the whole singing thing requires me to be constantly on top of it so if I stray to thinking about the gitbox I could get into trouble. :shock:

It's a Schecter C-1 Classic 'vine of life inlay'. I really like this thing. Nice variety of sound and great sustain.

1960strat wrote:...I found myself singin the "la-la-la-la-lala" parts!!
Thanks David, and I'm sure you sing it better than me. ;-) btw lets jam again. I'll e-mail you.
 #83046  by darksun

Hey Bill, i have a question.

Please though, don't take this the wrong way, because I know you are a farrrrr superior guitar player to me, and you know a hell of a lot more about jerry's playing style than i probably will in YEEEARS. i'm asking this more of as a student than anything else...

You gave us a whole rainbow of different modal scales for the verse leads... but my question is this: I don't understand why the leads for the different chords would be switching modes so much. I am especially thrown by the phrygian... this song doesn't really have any spanish sounding parts to it. Am I reading your post wrong or something?
 #83047  by darksun

ohhh yeah and my electric is a schecter c-1 plus... Schecter makes a GREEAT product! such a wide range of sounds and the sustain is just incredible