Joy

#65540  by Capt Rosebuddy

Any thoughts? I hit some shows this summer and heard all of the songs live, and I have to say I really like this studio take for a change. Kill Devil Falls is the most radio ready Phish song I think I've ever heard (as we know not that that is exactly a good thing..). And IMHO Time Turns Elastic is a masterpiece, lots of heads hate it I know but I think it's a modern Bowie. They should only work with Lillywhite from now on, again only my opinion.

cheers.
 #65551  by Rusty the Scoob

I'm very addicted to this album, have been for over a week now. (I can't help it if things leak my way!) I love it, even more than Billy Breathes which may be their other best studio album, even though those songs aren't their strongest. I agree, Lillywhite brought out their best. They even managed to achieve that "liftoff" feeling in Light that you can normally only get from them on a good live night.

Heads hate Time Turns Elastic? That's crazy. Not only is it an awesome song, it's amazing that they put it out 20+ years after they formed.
 #65588  by Staemius

I'm just so glad these guys are playing together again. I picked up the CD for my wife's b-day this weekend. Caught the Knoxville show and have a healthy collection of downloads from this past tour. Great new songs - Kill Devil Hills is now the opener I want to hear!
 #65593  by Capt Rosebuddy

Rusty the Scoob wrote: Heads hate Time Turns Elastic? That's crazy. Not only is it an awesome song, it's amazing that they put it out 20+ years after they formed.
yea they call it "Time Turns Forever" I caught 3 this summer and everybody clears out to go take a leak when they start it (fyi trey swaps guitars for the alt tuning) its the only time I've ever seen a bathroom line during the set.
 #90205  by tiffcheese

I'm liking Joy. I haven't actually bought it yet, I did an interlibrary loan and picked it up for a three week borrow. Ocelot kills me with its goodness, Joy kills me with its sweetness. I agree Time Turns is a masterpiece and I'll bet a few of those who don't enjoy it can't follow it. It's pretty complex IMO. I really like Kill Devil Falls, and while initially I would've agreed it's 'radio friendly', I also like that it's got that funk that Phish is so good at: there's a place where the bass and drums meet and make this totally juicy sound. I also really like Trey's vocals in KDF, most notably "Well I learned my lesson.." Trey's voice sounds fantastic on this disc.

First time I heard Backwards Down The Number Line was on Sirius as Summer tour was happening, and I like Page's intertwining/backing vocals on it. After listening to it a bunch, I really appreciate the lyrics of the entire song.
Last edited by tiffcheese on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #90271  by tiffcheese

....and following the same thought in which Phish used their annual Halloween costume to derive musical influence and learning....

I think I remember seeing Time Turns Elastic in Trey's band setlists soon after he did a bunch of work with orchestras. That would explain the compositional feel
 #90274  by bodiddley

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote: Heads hate Time Turns Elastic? That's crazy. Not only is it an awesome song, it's amazing that they put it out 20+ years after they formed.
yea they call it "Time Turns Forever" I caught 3 this summer and everybody clears out to go take a leak when they start it (fyi trey swaps guitars for the alt tuning) its the only time I've ever seen a bathroom line during the set.
I Like TTE. I caught it at both shows I saw this Summer. I know this is sacrelige, but I'll take it over a lot of other Phish tunes.

By the way, the call it "Time Turns Craptastic" also.
 #90275  by dleonard

Time Turns Elastic is great. Ocelot is great. Backwards Down the Number Line is great (HOT solo). Sh*t...I Been Around is great. Dudes are talented. A friend of mine told me Phish is playing New Years at MSG. Is this true?
 #90278  by tiffcheese

yep, pretty sure it's 12/28, 29 Worcester then the next three nights at MSG. I'm in for 12/31, woot!
 #90297  by tcsned

I'm listening to Kill Devil Falls now - like that one too. I agree it has radio potential . . . except that radio fucking sucks for the most part.

I'm not a big Phish fan, but I really dug Ocelot at the one Phish show I went to in Knoxville in 2009. Thought it was a catchy tune.