#69271  by Billbbill

Our band has been working on this the last few rehearsals and I'd never really put the time in on all the nuanced jg riffs - until now :smile:

so I figured I'd share what I've come up with

here's a vid from yt - checkout from 1:51 tp 2:06 - positioning is real tough to see but I think I'm in the ballpark - it isn't the clearest so headphones will help

here's the tab as I see(hear) it:

(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

-------Em7
E|---------------------------------------------
B|-------------17------17------15--14------15--
G|---------16----------------------------------
D|--14/17----------17------17----------17------
A|---------------------------------------------

----Am
E|--------------------------------------------------
B|------13--12----------12--------------12----------
G|--------------12----------14--12----------14--12--
D|--14--------------14--------------14--------------
A|--------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------

-------Em7
B|-------------17------17------15--14------15--
G|---------16----------------------------------
D|--14/17----------17------17----------17------
A|---------------------------------------------

----Am------------------------------------------------------F#maddAb
E|--------------------------------------------------------------
B|------13--12----------12--------------12----------------------
G|--------------12----------14--12----------14--12------12--11--
D|--14--------------14--------------14--------------14----------
A|--------------------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

positioning wise I slide up with the ring finger from the 14/17 on the D string to a G form with my pinky on the 17 on the b string - then I lift it for the 15 on the b with my index finger there and just slide back my index finger for the 14

then I drop back to an Em (for the Am portion) barring the 12th fret b & g strings w/ my index finger and my ring finger on the 14 on the d string (E note) - I hold that position throughout and use my middle finger for the 13 on the b and my pinky for the 14 on the g string - like barring an Am at the 12th fret - I think it may have been easier just to do a freakin vid!! :smile:

comments, suggestions, constructive criticism welcome
 #69289  by mijknahs

I think you nailed it! I play something like this but a little bit off (I didn't stay on the G on the D string). You're getting all the notes though. I started to notice this riff in Cassidy and had to learn it. Now I think it's crucial to the song.

I bet Jerry fingerpicks this part. Its a typical example of something Jerry would fingerpick. Then you can keep hitting the G note on the D string while changing notes on the B string (during the Em part).

Thanks for posting!
Jim
 #69290  by Billbbill

You're welcome jim & thank you -
Yea I couldn't get a real good look for whether or not he was finger picking - someone posted a run for the roses clip a week or so ago and I was surprised at how all the verse lead arpeggios were flat picked, and only the chorus portion was finger picked. I've been trying to do a bit more flat picking since I saw that.

You're probably right about at least the Em portion - droning the g is a sure sign that he was probably finger picking - I usually do my half ass chicken flat/finger picking thing in portions like this but didn't for the vid. I watched your vid in I believe the "claw technigue" thread - very nice and nimble you are at pulling that off - I gave it a shot but I can't seem to get a good enough grip on the pick between my finger joints - I think my fingers are a bit too short for that!

I also checked out your Sugaree and Big River on your yt page - you are a very impressive player! Nice chops! :cool:

Bill
 #69306  by Tennessee Jedi

hey Bill
Nice vid !
Hey I am interested in your Jerry take on Cassidys' intro. I kinda just make something up when I do it ... kinda weak ....
Any chance you have time for a quick tab out ?
Thanks
 #69321  by mijknahs

Bill,

I just posted a recent Cassidy on my yt account. It's not one of the best we've done but you can hear (not see since it's so dark) my attempt at the Em/Am part.

It's sorta close but now I know better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDgZc7CiXGk

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by mijknahs on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #69337  by Billbbill

Cool Jim, I'll check it out

TJ! D00D!
The very end licks on the vid is what I've got as the jg intro - the 2nd half of it is tabbed early in the vid with the tab labeled "Main Riff" but in a different position. Check it out and see if you can get the first half - if not I'll help you out but right now I gotta run - Going down to MSG to hopefully not watch the Pens THRASH my Rangers - again!
 #69355  by Billbbill

Tennessee Jedi wrote:hey Bill
Nice vid !
Hey I am interested in your Jerry take on Cassidys' intro. I kinda just make something up when I do it ... kinda weak ....
Any chance you have time for a quick tab out ?
Thanks
Drat - while it was a better game we ended up getting thrashed again! Can anyone besides Gaborik please score some friggin' goals!! I guess I'm gonna have to live with a young inexperienced defense that's gonna screw up - oh well.

Anyway figured I'd plop this up anyway TJ

I'm gonna tab it like I play it at the end of the vid, though I don't think JG played it there

(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

2x
E|--------------------------
B|--------------------------
G|--4-----------------------
D|-----7--6--4--7--6--4-----
A|-----------------------7--
E|--------------------------

2x
E|-----------------------------
B|--5--------------------------
G|-----7--6--4--7--6--4--------
D|-----------------------7--6--
A|-----------------------------
E|-----------------------------

Bobby appears to play the 2nd jer lick over jers 1st lick, and then a different lick over jers 2nd lick - fwiw
 #69357  by Tennessee Jedi

Sucks about your squad - the Fly Guys are sucking big time too.
:?
Ha ha !
I watched the vid all the way thru and the intro was there !
And now tab !
Sweet !
What a great tune - Jerry was lucky to have Bob I think .... it seems to me Jerry's best stuff is on Bob's tunes .....
Bill - I wish I could remember the name of the DVD that has a great Cassidy and great shots of Jerry - its a two concert 87 DVD from Cali - great for seeing what Jerrys does ....
Thanks man !
:D
 #69366  by Tennessee Jedi

mijknahs wrote:Is it View from the Vault IV (Anaheim and Oakland '87)? I haven't seen it for a while. Don't remember if Cassidy is on it.

Jim
I think thats it ... thanks ...
Some good hand shots in it
 #69371  by tigerstrat

That sounds great. I've been comfortable for years doing the whole passage at 12th pos., but maybe I'll try that one sometime.
 #69383  by Billbbill

tigerstrat wrote:That sounds great. I've been comfortable for years doing the whole passage at 12th pos., but maybe I'll try that one sometime.
tx tiger - funny, i was there exclusively myself when I first started tackling this last week (where've I been?) until I saw the vid above - can't see a whole heck of a lot but the one thing I could see was that he dropped back from the first part to the second - then when I put it together I realized it (the 1st part) is the same positioning w/ the dropping of the 5th a half step, as what I'd spied on a Help on the Way vid a while back. Specifically the poised for flight part.

E|--------------------
B|--6--4--3--------3--
G|--5--5--5-----5-----
D|--6--6--6--6--------
A|--------------------
E|--------------------
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

w/o the drone on the top of course
 #69387  by jackr

Bill,
Thanks for taking the time with that (and all your videos) Great job.

What kind of guitar are you playing there? Looks like some sort of travel guitar but not sure what kind.
 #69389  by Billbbill

jackr wrote:Bill,
Thanks for taking the time with that (and all your videos) Great job.

What kind of guitar are you playing there? Looks like some sort of travel guitar but not sure what kind.
My pleasure jack - it was predominantly a selfish endeavor - I reeeeally needed to learn it! It's funny, I'd not intended to do a vid here figuring the tab w/ the clip was enough, but you ever know something pretty well and somehow you just lose the vibe? And the tab looks like GreeK? (assuming one doesn't know Greek) That's kinda what happened to me after the initial posting - I was like 'why am I having trouble with this?? I just played it a zillion times!' Then I figured it needed a vid. :smile: And I played it another zillion times, so I think it's now embedded in me.

The little plucker is a washburn rover - great little thing - I play it in a few other youtube vids, probably the best is Deep Elem.

That's in this thread if you'd like to check it out - in some other vids I'm using a martin backpacker.

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4590