name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #172236  by DrCannonball

Hi all,

Long time lurker checking in with a real account. I’ve enjoyed this forum for the playing tips and overall great attitude among the community.

A bit about me - name is Sean. I live in Maryland - mostly Annapolis, at our cabin in Deep Creek as much as possible. I’ve played guitar most of my life and find no music inspires or challenges me to improve like the GD.

A Dead memory I’ll keep forever is from 2002 - I was home from college and had set up my computer, was listening to a copy of Cornell 77 I’d downloaded from Napster or Kazaa via a Winamp player (very early-00s culture here) when my dad walked in. He nonchalantly said “I was at that show. When you get a chance can you burn that for me?” Just an all-time cool dad moment there. I burned him a CD he wore out, and along the way reconnected him with the sounds of his younger years.

Thanks for reading,
Sean
 #172237  by lbpesq

Hi Sean, and welcome to the forum. I wish my Dad was that cool! He was listening to Broadway Show music when I was growing up. I distinctly remember him stating that “in a year, no one will remember them” as we watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. Tell your Dad that an old-time Deadhead (I go back to Pigpen) says “high”.

Bill, tgo (the guitar one)
DrCannonball liked this
 #172238  by Jon S.

Well, my son and daughter also have a dad who was at that show. :D

Welcome!
 #172239  by wabisabied

Cool story, welcome Sean!

Since we’re talking about dads, mine went to school in Annapolis. The US Naval Academy. Definitely was not a Deadhead! Still isn’t. But he played football there and got to tackle Roger Staubach in practice, so the legend goes.
DrCannonball liked this
 #172242  by Abide

Hey Sean!

I tend to lurk myself here, but I wanted to come to the surface and say welcome! I'm in Annapolis myself! Heck of a storm this morning, eh?!?

Jimmy
DrCannonball liked this
 #172244  by DrCannonball

Indeed! We’ve got 6” here - probably more than the last 3 years combined. Beautiful but heavy and has taken a few trees down.

Terrible irony that we got home from DCL yesterday after a week of rain and temps in the 50-60s. Wish I’d brought my XC skis home!
 #172248  by Jon S.

You Maryland dudes are such babies. In Virginia, we call today's snow a dusting. ;)

#172250  by lbpesq

It's amusing how different parts of the country react to snow. I grew up just outside of NYC, so I had plenty of experience with the stuff. After High School, I moved to the Los Angeles area for college. I was flabbergasted to learn that they would close the Grapevine ( a 1500' hill on Interstate 5, north of L.A.) for literally 1/4" of snow!

Bill, tgo (who eschews any electrically powered Menorah for the real thing ... nothing like setting stuff on fire! ... hehehehe)
 #172251  by Jon S.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Like acoustic and electric guitars! ;)
 #172257  by Abide

We got around 11”! That being said, I’m from So Cal…so yes, I am a wimp when it come to snow!! What I would give to go home to Cali!
 #172259  by Jon S.

Abide wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:37 pm We got around 11”!
Reminds me of the old chestnut:

Q. How do you know most meteorologists are men?

A. Because they think this |----| is 8".

:lol:
 #172260  by lbpesq

Along those lines:

Why do some women prefer Jewish men?

They like the 15% off!

... rimshot ...

Bill, tgo (just an old Bar Mitzvah boy from New York)
Last edited by lbpesq on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jon S. liked this
 #172263  by Jon S.

I try to avoid "stereotype jokes" in mixed crowds because, like with all races and ethnicities, what we joke about among ourselves is not the same as what we share in public. I'll admit, though, I laughed at your joke. :smile:
 #172264  by lbpesq

Yea, I basically agree, but sometimes I think we, as a society, are getting a bit too “correct”. Do we really need to be calling the mailman the “person person”? Vive la Difference!

Bill, tgo (who went back and softened it just a scooch))
 #172266  by Jon S.

The revised version is perfect and hereby deemed as repeatable in all company. :rockon: