name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #171150  by hermybear2002

:musicsmile:

Long time dead head back living in the L.A. Happy to be here, at rukind, amongst other deadheads.

Been reading these forums off/on for years, just never occurred to join...too much ________ (fill in the blank) over those years, I suppose... :lol:

Seriously, or semi, at least, I am mostly here to absorb the many views, ideas, thoughts and discussions surrounding my, nay, should I say our?, life long journey towards the ultimate...TONE!

I am also looking for peeps living in the LA/SFV etc. area that might want to jam some Dead. I am def more Jerry than Bob but I am also willing to learn new tricks...
 #171151  by Jon S.

I’m just back from a SOCAL visit to my extended in laws side of the family. Stay cool (literally) and let it rain!
 #171156  by hermybear2002

I got a question for either of you. I am about to purchase an Sarno SMS JG and need to find a relatively low power - power amp that I can use for at home (apartment). I already have enough power to blow the building down (GT800FX) and I don't want another rack unit. I saw Jon's post about Quilter. Would this work? It's literally so I can play sittin on my couch. I currently have 2 old Gauss 300w speaker/cabs to run stuff through. I also have a HeadRush I run my AX8 through, but looking to dump the digital and go back to my roots...
 #171160  by Jon S.

Short response as I’m away and using my phone. For your described scenario, ditch the SMS preamp. Cop instead something like Quilter’s new SoundBlock US ($249). Look into its form factor, features, and tone - I believe it’ll meet your current needs. P.S. when I said ditch the SMS preamp, I meant only don’t use it in this application (I also own the SMS pre - it ain’t going nowhere).
 #171162  by lbpesq

I agree with Jon. I have a Quilter 101 Mini Reverb and a MicroPro 200/8 with 12” HD cab. Quilter makes fine products. The new Soundblock is a complete 25w amp in a pedal.

If you still want to go with the Sarno pre, and are looking for a small size power amp, and especially if you want to use both of your cabs, check out the Carvin Mach 100. It’s a stereo Class D power amp, up to 50w per channel, in a stompbox size pedal.

Bill, tgo
 #171167  by hermybear2002

Thank you both for your input. I actually picked up the Carvin Mach 100 on sale for $169 +SH/Tx - listed normal price as $239. After looking into it, it has everything I need for at & small, backyard or bar gigs. I really like the headphone out is separate from the main outs - I can mute the mains and still listen via phones PLUS it has a 3.5mm stereo input.

Using the hip idioms of the day, I am starting my 2.0 journey to rebuilding my Jerry rig...another way of saying: crap, why did I sell all that killer sh*t I used to gig with back in the 80' & 90's...

I pulled the trigger on the Sarno yesterday. If either of you are interested, I also sent Brad an email regarding a possible mod I asked for on the ED & SF; a means to control the gain via expression pedal and a limiter (slider). Gave some examples (Ernie Ball has a footpedal gain thingy - love the form factor but I was not asking to rebuild the wheel). If he gives me a favorable response and cost, I'll pass it on. It's the main reason I went digital - to have more real time control of parameters, but now I just want Jerry tone.

Justed want to add one last thing before we consider this closed; something I found while searching the Mutron III rabbit hole...

I had a friend who copied everything in my rig in an effort to sound like me.

Poor guy, he failed miserably - he sounded much better.

:eek:

I friggin spit my coffee all over the kitchen floor after reading the 2nd line...

Well Done, Jon! :lol: :-o :musicsmile: