name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #169148  by johnhell

Hey Heads, Happy New Year to one and all!

I'm so happy to be in this community. I quit Facebook a few months ago, and Twitter over a year ago. I don't miss them at all, though there were a couple great GD groups I enjoyed the interaction on.

It's safe to say I've been on the bus since my dad bought me "Skeleton's From The Closet" when I was 12 in 1982. I wore that record out within a few month. My first GD show was 12/30/85, I was 15. Living in Bay Area allowed me to attend a lot of Grateful Dead and Dead-related events starting at a young age. And living with my dad meant no leash, so by the time I was 15 I was up and down the Peninsula into SF and over to Berkeley and Oakland for many great shows.

I teach Law, Civics and Economics in SF at the high school Jerry attended. I lived blocks from his childhood home for a number of years. I live in Berkeley now, and my daughter attends the high school Phil attended.

I've been in local radio since 1988. First at KFJC (88-97), co-founded Radio Free Burning Man (94-98), Dabbled in commercial radio (hated it) KRQR (I was in the studio on the 32nd story of Embarcadero One with DJ Mercy Hawks when the 89 earthquake hit) and KLLC (Alice-FM), lots of pirate radio: San Francisco Liberation Radio (00-03), Pirate Cat (07-09), and co-founder of Radio Valencia http://radiovalencia.fm (10-present), where I've been hosting Monday nights 8-10PM since our inception. My musical taste is as varied as any non-commercial radio hosts should be, though I bend towards punk, proto-punk and garage, as well as jazz and blues.

I also host Monday's 6-8PM where I play two hours of live bootlegs from my library. I have plenty of GD, but this slot is full shows of other bands.

I play guitar for fun. I've recorded silly punk songs for fun, but never had plans to tour the world. I'm happily married (second time is much more fun than the first). I have a daughter from my first marriage who lives with us full time (full custody). I also have a toddler with my wife. My wife was a long time SF prankster like me, with deep connections to mid-90s Burning Man. When we met we were surprised we didn't meet years before considering the many people we have in common.

As for the Grateful Dead, I have so many shows via Lossless Legs and bt.etree that instead of listening to whole shows, I look for specific tunes or jams that are tickling my fancy at that time. I love to read sites like Lost Live Dead, Jerry's Brokedown Palaces, Cryptical Developments, Jerry's Middle Finger, and too many more to list. It's usually through those that I get an itch to grab a particular show. As for my bootleg collection, at the moment I have about 1300 GD shows, mostly flac soundboards, though I really need to do better about taking the risk on quality audience recordings. I just don't want to waste my time grabbing something that sounds like it's in a tin can. I'll go with a good Hunter Seamons matrix any day.

I'm an avid reader of sci-fi, dystopia (though 2020 was bad enough), music biographies/memoirs, and being a history, civics, law teacher, I really enjoy readings on those topics.

I was raised to be inclusive to all ideas. My dad said "invite them all to the party. Let them decline the invite if they don't want to go".

When I have a chance I like to do urban exploring. I know the ins and outs of many storm drains throughout the Bay Area, as well as the tops of many bridges (shhhhhh)

Thanks again for having me. And thanks for reading this far.

jh
 #169149  by lbpesq

Hi, Johnhell (John?), and welcome to the forum! I’m just up the hill from you, a little south and off of Grizzly Peak. We were undoubtedly at some of the same Bay Area shows. I’m a little older and got to see most Bay Area shows from 1974 until I slowed down in the late 80’s. The huge stadiums and the “party ‘til you puke” crowd that showed up after “Touch of Grey” just didn’t do it for me. I still went some, but not every stand. My first show was 1970 in New York where I grew up. I saw The Band open for the Dead on Jerry’s 31st birthday, August 1, 1973, and moved to California 12 days later!

Have you listened to the three night stand at Winterland in February, ‘74? Among my favorites!

I also play guitar in a couple of bands - or will when we put covid behind us.

Bill, tgo
johnhell liked this
 #169150  by Jon S.

Welcome to RUKIND! Your background is most interesting, I look forward to your contributions here.
johnhell liked this
 #169157  by johnhell

lbpesq wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:38 pm Hi, Johnhell (John?), and welcome to the forum! I’m just up the hill from you, a little south and off of Grizzly Peak. We were undoubtedly at some of the same Bay Area shows. I’m a little older and got to see most Bay Area shows from 1974 until I slowed down in the late 80’s. The huge stadiums and the “party ‘til you puke” crowd that showed up after “Touch of Grey” just didn’t do it for me. I still went some, but not every stand. My first show was 1970 in New York where I grew up. I saw The Band open for the Dead on Jerry’s 31st birthday, August 1, 1973, and moved to California 12 days later!

Have you listened to the three night stand at Winterland in February, ‘74? Among my favorites!

I also play guitar in a couple of bands - or will when we put covid behind us.

Bill, tgo
Hey Bill,

Yes, it's John Hell here. My radio name since 94. I love the Feb Winterland run of course. Always a fave. I miss the smaller venues for any show. I was lucky to have seen GD at Kaiser and Frost, which I believe are the two smallest venues I have seen them. Jerry I was lucky to have seen at the Stone in SF, and post-Dead Phil shows at Terrapin are a pleasure when I can get there. I live about a mile from Ashkenaz, so Stu Allen has been a real treat. I look forward to live shows again some time soon.

Stay safe.

jh
 #169158  by johnhell

Jon S. wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:31 am Welcome to RUKIND! Your background is most interesting, I look forward to your contributions here.
Thanks Jon. I always appreciate conversations about the music we all love.

jh