name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #165915  by Tommyboy123

Greetings from Pensacola FL! Long time GD listener but was unaware of the forums until recently, probably because I’m the only one of my friends who likes them a lot.

Was interested in the Dead after listening to a few of my dad’s old records as a kid but never truly bonded with the music until someone gifted my dad the Europe ‘72 box set. My interest has really gotten into overdrive though ever since I picked up guitar about 9 months ago. I played violin for 16 years, quit for about 7, and then decided it would be more fun to get into an electric instrument.

Currently playing on a used Ibanez Artstar that was given to me as a best man gift from one of my super good friends for his wedding. I have an inherited Peavey Delta Blues 30w amp that I use for playing with other people and a little SS Orange Crush 12 amp that I bought for practice—-and I’ve gotta say I love the clean Orange tone about as well as any other brand.

My pedal game is very weak as I can’t justify that kind of money yet. Right now I’m in the market for some kind of envelope filter for my Estimated/Shakedown needs.

Glad to be part of the community, looking forward to some good Playing Dead discussions!
 #165916  by Pointclear

Welcome! You’re in the neighborhood!! There is a lot of great info on here for seeking the tone and technique of Garcia and the rest of the Grateful Dead! Good luck in your pursuit of deadness!
 #165918  by Pointclear

aiq wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:10 am Mobile here, weir everywhere. Hello Tommy, pointclear following your mahogany build.
Thanks aiq! It’s walnut, cherry, and maple, though. No mahagony in this guitar.