#171932  by NeilG1

I don’t think anyone is framing anyone here! All just opinions.
However, while I get your point, I don’t think one can compare the Dead without Jerry to the Stones without Jones. But really defining a cover isn’t important in the end. If you like it, like it. If you don’t, let those that do like it, like it.
I feel nothing really negative toward D&C. I’d absolutely see them if they came here. But like I said, wouldn’t driv me for them again. And certainly wouldn’t throw on a D&C show to listen to at home.
For me I can enjoy any of this stuff if I set the right expectation beforehand.
 #171933  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:03 am
Having been there, too, I'll be the judge of that! :-o

As long as we are sharing how we looked "back in the day" at our early Dead shows.

Bill, tgo

#171934  by Chocol8

NeilG1 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:27 pm I don’t think anyone is framing anyone here! All just opinions.
However, while I get your point, I don’t think one can compare the Dead without Jerry to the Stones without Jones. But really defining a cover isn’t important in the end. If you like it, like it. If you don’t, let those that do like it, like it.
I feel nothing really negative toward D&C. I’d absolutely see them if they came here. But like I said, wouldn’t driv me for them again. And certainly wouldn’t throw on a D&C show to listen to at home.
For me I can enjoy any of this stuff if I set the right expectation beforehand.
My opinion is that it isn’t the lack of Jerry or Phil that is the problem with D&C, it is with the tempo and the lack of energy/emotion/enthusiasm coming from Bobby and the drummers.

If there really were some great shows this tour post some links. People I know and trust said the Darien Lake show was truly awful, but maybe that was an aberration in an otherwise better tour?
 #171936  by NeilG1

People went wild for Billy Strings with Bill too, but he doesn’t do it for me at all on an electric.
To quote the dude, it’s just, like, your opinion, man!
brbadg liked this
 #171938  by mgbills

I read / hear lots of bitching about the song pace in D&C. According to the Good Ole Grateful Deadcast.... Bob is driving that pace to keep the stage volume down. Out of Bob's mouth. Not mine.

And I'm in the group that believes that evolution is inevitable. Even if humanity is too short-sighted to see it.
:soapbox:

Sorry. Shouldn't preach. Jerry is still Dead. But he lives on in all of us.
 #171939  by lbpesq

Slower = quieter, faster = louder? I’ll have to give that one a try, sometime.

Personally, I just don’t think of Dead & Co. as an evolution or latest version of the Dead. To me, they are a separate band playing in the Dead style. They are as much the Dead as The Who is The Who without Keith and John, It would be like Paul and Ringo playing with Clapton and Jeff Beck and touring the complete Sgt.Pepper’s album. Might be a helluva band, but it wouldn’t be The Beatles.

Bill, tgo
 #171941  by NeilG1

Yeah Bobby did say this - heard it on a podcast but can’t remember which. Was very bizarre. Said you play louder when you play fast, and that a quiet stage is a critical element to good performance.
I didn’t get it then and I don’t get it now?
Maybe that’s why Mayer wears headphones now ;)
carlo zakers, brbadg liked this
 #171942  by Jon S.

Bob Weir is an old man now. I count my blessings every day.
 #171943  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:18 pm As long as we are sharing how we looked "back in the day" at our early Dead shows.Image
I think back then you needed more protein in your diet. ;)

lbpesq liked this
 #171944  by strumminsix

NeilG1 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:02 am Yeah Bobby did say this - heard it on a podcast but can’t remember which. Was very bizarre. Said you play louder when you play fast, and that a quiet stage is a critical element to good performance.
I didn’t get it then and I don’t get it now?
Maybe that’s why Mayer wears headphones now ;)
I'm not gonna assume Bobby's meanings but my reaction......
1) when I play on a quieter stage I hear everything more clearly and can musically integrate my part vs forcing it into the mix to be heard.
2) it's musician nature (unless born with timing, or learned timing) that when energy goes up, volume goes up, and bands speed - and vice versa

JM was having some hearing problems and using double protection. Years ago was talking with Michael Santucci who said something to the effect of many or most concerts experience higher volume or peak volumes from crowd noise vs stage noise so gotta think holistically about hearing protection...
NeilG1 liked this
 #171945  by lbpesq

Ahh, I see now. Playing slowly = the audience might not like it as much = less enthusiastic applause = lower audience volume = quieter stage!

And aren’t they all using IEMs? Isn’t the “stage volume” just a function of each player’s individual volume control? I suspect the fact that Bobby is in his 70’s and just naturally slowing down is closer to the truth.

And Jewfros rule!

Bill, tgo
 #171946  by strumminsix

lbpesq wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:26 am Ahh, I see now. Playing slowly = the audience might not like it as much = less enthusiastic applause = lower audience volume = quieter stage!

And aren’t they all using IEMs? Isn’t the “stage volume” just a function of each player’s individual volume control? I suspect the fact that Bobby is in his 70’s and just naturally slowing down is closer to the truth.

And Jewfros rule!

Bill, tgo
Could be. But I was more thinking of the theory...

My opinion, they're old and playing and singing at original speeds is exhausting for Bobby and drummers. We all gotta slow down as we age.

And from what I can tell... They all use IEMs but they all still have amps on the stage and I see Bobby and the drummers pop one or both out from time to time...
 #171947  by Chocol8

They could go to a “silent stage” with no amps and only IEM’s if they wanted. I think it has a lot more to do with being over 70 and not having the energy anymore.
 #171948  by Jon S.

Chocol8 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:18 pm They could go to a “silent stage” with no amps and only IEM’s if they wanted. I think it has a lot more to do with being over 70 and not having the energy anymore.
The last time I caught David Byrne live, that's how he did it and to be frank I think anyone really missed the stage gear.
 #171950  by ski_rick

It's great to see them all out there still making music! I'm particularly happy to see Bobby happy and healthy, he seemed to have some rough years back there with Furthur and Rat Dog. I love Oteil and John's been a pleasant surprise.

That said, I just can't get excited about the slow tempos. It's gotten to the point where I have a hard time leaving it on Sirius when they come on the Dead channel.

I don't see any project topping the Q for post-Jerry Dead interpretations for me. JRAD comes close. I've also really enjoyed Grateful Shred's early 70ish, vocal-oriented interpretations recently.

I also really find it hard to get myself out to arenas/stadiums these years when I can see the above mentioned at much smaller, easier to deal with, venues.
NSP, Chocol8 liked this