#171913  by hotasaPistol

I am rather curious about the lack of any Dead and Co content

My first show was Santa Barbara Bowl in 1974 so I have been on the bus for a little while

I have been going to most of their California shows since they started up

Just caught the Halloween Hollywood Bowl show and they tore it up.

Its still like stepping into a time machine for me and even though it aint Jerry it is still great live music

just wonderin

Flame away :musicsmile: :musicsmile:
lightningbolt, sw72 liked this
 #171914  by lightningbolt

I love Dead and Company!
It is not the GD. If you look at it in that light, as an entity all it's own, what is not to like?
The musicianship is amazing.
Oteil is a virtuoso
Jeff is insanely good- I wish he was around in 1990 to fill Brent's shoes. ( Vince lovers feel free to attack) although he does not have the hi end vocal chops.
John is incredible, he can jam with the best of them, never runs out of ideas and his enthusiasm is contagious.

Yes the music is generally slower, once again it is not the GD. The arrangements have evolved over the past 26 years as well.
My biggest issue is the lack of new material. I wish they would expand the catalog. John should bring some songs to the mix.
That would end the chatter about them being a tribute/cover band.

All in all, my world is better with D&Co than without.
 #171915  by lbpesq

hotasaPistol wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:48 am My first show was Santa Barbara Bowl in 1974 so I have been on the bus for a little while

I was at that show, too! One of my favorite venues.

Dead

&

Co.

just

seems

to

play

every

song

sooooooooooooooo

slow.

I live in the Bay Area, so I’ve been getting my Dead fix at Terrapin Crossroads - Phil & Friends in a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller venue (literally 1/100th the size of the places D&C play). It’s a shame it appears Phil is shutting the place down.

Bill, tgo
 #171916  by Jon S.

My first show was also in 1974 - Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ. Here is the true story of the experience!
viewtopic.php?f=311&t=20718

I also dig Dead and Company a lot. I've caught 'em 4 times, twice in VA, once in LA, once in Eugene, OR. And there's lots of love for them here - just gotta poke around.
 #171917  by Gr8fulCadi

No flame here! Slow or not, I love going to their shows…been to all the Wrigley field shows but one and the Alpine Valley show. Been to the Fare Thee Well Dead show at Soldier Field. I don’t know, I’m enjoying it while they are still around.

I’m a tad too young to have seen 95’ and prior shows so this gets my fix.
Jon S. liked this
 #171918  by Chocol8

I love the Dead and really like John, but D&C is really hard for me to listen to most of the time. Every now and then I will play a YouTube video of them at 1.5x speed and it is almost fast enough, but I still find most of their playing flat, uninspired, and missing the energy and emotional weight that the band had for (much of) the first 3 decades.

I didn’t even bother to go to the local show this summer, and super glad I didn’t. Every long time Dead Head I know who went said it was their last D&C show. I don’t know if the entire tour was that bad, but I haven’t heard a lot of positive buzz at all.
 #171923  by jackevorkian

Chocol8 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:07 pm I don’t know if the entire tour was that bad, but I haven’t heard a lot of positive buzz at all.
This is actually being heralded as an absolutely killer tour. David Gans and Gary Lambert - who didn't really have much of a stance on DCo the past few years - have been head over heels with what they've been hearing this tour. I still struggle with the tempo of the songs a little bit, but when they get jamming, there's some magic going on for sure.
 #171924  by NeilG1

I think they’re ok. I saw them in Detroit a couple years back and had fun. I’d see them in my home town, but wouldn’t drive far for it. When it hits it’s great. You have to almost take the GD out of your mind while you listen to them though I think. If I want to really feel the Dead, Dark Star Orchestra nails it way more. This is something different entirely.
The whole experience is a bit surreal though. As weird as this might sound, one of the biggest losses for me is this mild fear I always felt around a Dead show. I’m not sure how to explain it, but wrapped up in the anticipation of the show was this bit of fear. The overwhelming nature of the scene and experience. Not sure I’m staying it right, but I imagine I wasn’t the only one.
Dead and Co is a highly sanitized version. I miss that edge.
 #171925  by Jon S.

I think the sentiment that has been expressed that if you want a Dead tribute or copy band, catch DSO, and if you want something different, catch Dead and Company is fair. I agree and it's why I'm finished with DSO but catch Dead and Company every chance I get. But I understand and respect that others differently. It's great we we have the choice, though for how much longer, who knows. That's why I'll catch Bob Weir's band as much as possible.
NeilG1, brbadg liked this
 #171926  by NeilG1

I agree that's fair.
Personal opinion - my favourite band doing something different with GD music is JRAD. Upbeat, fun, party music. Doesn't go to the cerebral places that a Dead show did, but I love what they do.
 #171927  by lbpesq

These days, if one wants to come closest to the Dead experience musically, improvisationally, and spiritually, there is nothing like a Phil & Friends concert!

Bill, tgo
brbadg liked this
 #171929  by bzbz

I'm not thrilled with rankings and comparisons, etc - though there are valid thoughts and opinions, and it's certainly all grist for the mill -

these discussions have a large potential to devolve out of rational discussion, become disdainful, and lose productive trains of thought quickly -

All that being said, I find that both Bob and Phil each bring a piece (a different piece) of the old "magic" with them, and I go to Dead and Co as well as Phil and Friends with realistic expectations - this year, both bands exceeded my expectations -

Bob (when on) brings that swirly ethereal psychedelia remanant, and Phil (when on) brings the jamming synergy remnant -

when off, they both are capable of bringing boredom.....

That's my 2 cents
strumminsix liked this
 #171930  by Jon S.

hotasaPistol wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:58 am https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/day ... 21318.html

coincidently just read this
From this article:

"There are no illusions that the audience is about to walk into Cornell’s Barton Hall on May 8, 1977"

Having been there, too, I'll be the judge of that! :-o

#171931  by hotasaPistol

some more thoughts...........

Tempo of songs have evolved over the years even when Jerry was at the helm

Friend of the Devil started as an up tempo bluegrass fun song and to me devolved into and electric funereal dirge...........I hated the electric version
also They love each other and Peggy-O slowed down over the years and I am sure there are others that I don't remember at the moment.
Evolution of the tunes....part of the allure and mystic is that they never played the songs the same way twice.......

I don't understand that for example if Bobby wrote Cassidy and it is his song how is that a cover
Can you cover yourself

Have the Stones been a cover band since Brian Jones died and Bill Wyman retired

How come no one complains about Phil and Friends as a cover band...more so than Bobby's band

It may be sacrilegious to say that I enjoy Otiell much better than Phil at this point in time
he can sing like a freaking nightingale.....China Doll brings me to tears when he sings it...evokes Jerrys spirit to me....also the interaction between Mayer and Chimineti reminds me of Jerry and Brent trading licks.....Chimineti kills it ....I agree that its too bad he wasn't around after Brent died...I thought Vince sucked and wish Hornsby had taken over full time....

I saw plenty of Further shows also and always cringed when Phil sang Jerry songs

Never quite got into Phil and Friends and saw them a few times...Just because they play in smaller venues doesn't mean the quality is better.....that's great if you live in the neighborhood .....

As far as DSO goes aren't they a cover band by definition

like it was so eloquently stated Dead and Company in my life is better that not at all.....

You get what you come for you're ready to go and its one in ten thousand that come for the show

Again for me its like stepping into the cosmic Wayback machine...I was 18 in1974 and am 68 now
What other musical psychedelic universe can beat that......I'm gratefully alive that I can still go to shows

Pot stirred.....Flame on

:lol: