#140968  by HeadSpace

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:Playin is pretty easy to find
Studio version on Ace.
 #141028  by drkstrcrashes

ebick wrote:
drkstrcrashes wrote:I keep associating it with skull fuck which I consider a live LP which makes those songs Null and Void for the list I'm after.

You have me confused. You listed Brown-Eyed Women in your initial. That was on Europe '72, which is a live album. I thought you were after original songs never recorded in the studio....(there are TONS of covers that meet that criteria)

Yea man, I was NOT wanting to include covers. Now, I may not be aware, like I'm not sure if the song "The Rub" was a cover? Somehow I think it was and not written by Pig. Oh, Hows about Alice D Millionare!? I guess Darkstar could be on the list, except for that they put out that single of it which was done in the studio (and was bad ass in my opinion). But not sure what you mean because neither Brown Eyed Woman or Songs of Skullfuck/Skulls and Roses like Bertha were written by Jerry and Rbt. Hunter but never put on to a studio LP. Or am I completely spacing something out?
 #141032  by ebick

drkstrcrashes wrote:
ebick wrote:
drkstrcrashes wrote:I keep associating it with skull fuck which I consider a live LP which makes those songs Null and Void for the list I'm after.

You have me confused. You listed Brown-Eyed Women in your initial. That was on Europe '72, which is a live album. I thought you were after original songs never recorded in the studio....(there are TONS of covers that meet that criteria)

Yea man, I was NOT wanting to include covers. Now, I may not be aware, like I'm not sure if the song "The Rub" was a cover? Somehow I think it was and not written by Pig. Oh, Hows about Alice D Millionare!? I guess Darkstar could be on the list, except for that they put out that single of it which was done in the studio (and was bad ass in my opinion). But not sure what you mean because neither Brown Eyed Woman or Songs of Skullfuck/Skulls and Roses like Bertha were written by Jerry and Rbt. Hunter but never put on to a studio LP. Or am I completely spacing something out?
I think you are...or maybe I'm not understanding something. But it's these two statements that you made that were the nature of my confusion, they seem in contradiction.
drkstrcrashes wrote:S0..... Just for the fuck of it, I thought I would try to make a list of GRATEFUL DEAD songs, NOT covers, that the dead played/wrote/did live.... but never released them officially on any LP.
drkstrcrashes wrote:I keep associating it with skull fuck which I consider a live LP which makes those songs Null and Void for the list I'm after
If what you meant was not ever released on a commercially released product, then Brown-Eyed Women should not be on the list (just one example of tunes you initially listed) because it was on Europe '72.
 #141034  by BobbyMcGee

You can even go one LP later and you probably get Night of a Thousand Stars, Two Djinn and Ashes and Glass. I actyually thing Jerry singing Stars would have been a hit...Warren has a credit but I think its fully a Hunter/Lesh song, Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Did we get Way to Go Home? Hunter/Welnick....decent song.
 #141037  by lightningbolt

How about that all time crowd pleasing encore....Day Job

A song I really liked that never was memorialized was Believe it or Not.

Masons Children was recorded i think but never released with American Beauty.

How about Brent's Good Time Blues...or was that a cover?
 #170917  by Chocol8

Mindbender - an early original that didn’t make it to the late 60’s
Wave that Flag - Rewriten as US Blues
 #170918  by Chocol8

The Seven
Money Money - Weir tune they played maybe twice in the mid 70’s.
 #170920  by lbpesq

Money, Money was on Mars Hotel.

How about Chinatown Shuffle? I think it only appeared on a latter day compilation album.

Bill, tgo
Chocol8 liked this
 #170921  by Chocol8

lbpesq wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:33 pm Money, Money was on Mars Hotel.
Ooops! Shows how much I ever listened to the studio albums!