#155876  by WeepingWillowGuitar

Hi everyone!

I just posted a video on YouTube on Bob Weir's guitar part on Casey Jones. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C3tVccJ7JQ

I thought there were some true "gems" in there and worth learning. As I've been these videos and really focusing on Weir's parts, I've gain a new respect for him and his playing. Hopefully you learn something from this video, I sure did.

Thanks
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #155877  by strumminsix

Very nicely done. you nail the studio and all the cornerstones for everything he does live so wonderfully.

And slightly humbling to hear parts i've faked my way thru over the year. Didn't realize ALL the hooks in there. Good ears too.
Tennessee Jedi liked this
 #155888  by brbadg

Nice job on this.I've sent this to a few local experts who think they know how to play this
stuff. All I get is "I didn't know he did all that,I thought that was Jerry". It feels good to
set them straight!
 #155891  by WeepingWillowGuitar

Thanks for watching, everyone! I think that at first most people do think that all the "lead" stuff is Jerry. Bobby is a highly underrated player. I remember many years ago reading an article in some guitar magazine that went through and analyzed some of Jerry's greatest licks. One of the licks attributed to Jerry was Bob's intro and verse part on "China Cat Sunflower". Again, because it is a "lead" part, people automatically think it's Jerry. Bob's a great accompanist, and he improvises and puts the same energy in his rhythm playing as any great soloist does in their lead playing.
 #155893  by rugger

Another "lead" part of Bob's that is often mistaken for Jerry is the China-->Rider transition in the 70's. Lots of tasty Bob stuff there!

John in San Diego
 #155895  by tcsned

WeepingWillowGuitar wrote:Thanks for watching, everyone! I think that at first most people do think that all the "lead" stuff is Jerry. Bobby is a highly underrated player. I remember many years ago reading an article in some guitar magazine that went through and analyzed some of Jerry's greatest licks. One of the licks attributed to Jerry was Bob's intro and verse part on "China Cat Sunflower". Again, because it is a "lead" part, people automatically think it's Jerry. Bob's a great accompanist, and he improvises and puts the same energy in his rhythm playing as any great soloist does in their lead playing.
Totally agree. Bob played a huge role in the sonic tapestry, more than any other "rhythm" player I know of. Cool video too!
 #171330  by Gratefuldrifter65

This was the way i learned it,dope as tune! I always have the intro riff stuck in my head.I dont have any favorite dead tunes they are all sick,but mr Jones is up there.God bless him. :rasta: