#9325  by phpbb

I've got an initial draft of the new tune list available for preview. you can find the link in the "what's new" section off the front page. This is a pretty complete list of every tune played by the Grateful Dead, from shows to albums, from at least 72 forward. Of course, its not complete, and there are missspellings, but, now, it will be very easy for me to update if you tell me what the song is.

This has not yet replaced the "old way", but now is your time to let me know what you think. Here is a summary of the changes:

1> Things like forums, video instruction, albums, etc, will all be listed when you click on a song. If any of this information is available, the URL will be clickable. The only exception is with forums. IF a forum for a song does not currently exist, you can send me an email telling me to create it.

2> Video Instructions that are available for any song are now listed under the song.

3> the yellow icon with the question mark is gone.
3b> all hidden song forums can be found here

4> you can easily see which albums a song can be found on.
5> shows are coming next...

#9330  by weedar

How will the request-forum-link work for tunes that are not original GD-tunes?

#9334  by phpbb

The only thing I really hope doesn't happen is that someone requests a new forum, then posts the entire tab for that song. I think its completely appropriate to talk about how the dead played the song, a particular lick you've tabbed out from one of the members from a show, dvd or album, or just a general conversation.

#9336  by jck_strw

I'm confused. You don't want people to post the tab to a song? Is it the whole lyrics/assclowns-suing-people thing? If we posted the tab with incomplete lyrics, would that be ok?

#9337  by phpbb

yes it is the suing thing. The artists who have sold their rights away to publishers associated with the Music Publishers Association have made it clear that they don't want their music posted on websites without permission. Lyrics are a part of it, however, OLGA was taken down because the MPA claimed their music, even without lyrics, was a derivative of the original, therefore not protected by Fair Use.

Part of Fair Use is how much of the song is being used. That's why I think its OK to say "here's a riff jerry played", or "the dead played this song in the key of ___", or "check out this chord progression the dead used".

#9339  by jck_strw

Roger that.

The new interface looks really slick. I like it.

BTW--when I click that link in the tabs (something like General notes on Chords or something), I get an error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /cake/app/views/layouts/default.thtml on line 10