When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #171181  by lbpesq

In my seemingly never ending quest to reduce size and weight, with convenience as a guiding factor, here is my latest pedal board. The folding board is made by Mooer, as are several of my pedals. The power supply presented an obstacle as most power supplies deliver 9v at 100mA to most of the outlets. Several of my pedals consume more than 100 mAh and there just aren't many power supplies out there that provide numerous 9v outputs at more than 100 mA. On this Caline model, the 9v outputs are mostly 300 mA with a couple adjustable for different voltages and more than 300 mA. I've tried using battery power, both the Pedaltrain Volto and the Sanyo Pedal Juice, but found they lasted far shorter than advertised.

Bill, tgo

Gratefuldrifter65 liked this
 #171182  by Jon S.

Sweet!

I just received the Dual Lock I ordered to complete my own new-ish pedalboard. I'll post a pic when it's assembled.
 #171183  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:59 pm Sweet!

I just received the Dual Lock I ordered to complete my own new-ish pedalboard. I'll post a pic when it's assembled.

Thanks.
Dual lock is definitely the way to go. Kicks butt on Velcro!

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #171184  by Jon S.

Hi again, Bill. I'm wondering if you're OK w/me uploading a pic of my own new pedalboard to your aptly titled thread. I'm asking because you started it to be about your board and I don't want to hijack that. But if it's not a problem, I'm figuring, then there'd be no need to start another thread and maybe your thread might become RUKIND's official "new pedalboard" thread.

P.S. Holy crap, is 400 Dual Lock on pedals to 250 Dual Lock on the board a strong bond. When I needed to remove a couple of the pedals to insert the cord jacks, I literally couldn't pull them off by hand - I had to use a butter knife to pry them off! This is cool because it means ain't no one stealing a pedal off this board at a gig. The only way they could would be to try to walk off with the entire board!
 #171186  by strumminsix

Thank everyone's missing the star of the show... That hinge is awesome. Haven't seen anything like that before. Makes for a very cool setup!
 #171187  by lbpesq

Jon: yea, 250 to 400 will give a STRONG connection!

Jon, and everyone else: please feel free to post pics of your boards or anything else you might like to share.

wabisabied: I'll take a pic of the underside and post over the weekend.

strumminsix: Yea, the hinge is a great design. The only issue I have with the board is that there isn't any room to mount a power supply underneath.

Bill, tgo
paulinnc, strumminsix liked this
 #171188  by Jon S.

Finally assembled my own pedalboard board today. Note that mine is not a "Deadicated" board (though it includes everything I need for Dead) but intended for the broader range of music I play.

The basic board is a Voodoo Lab Dingnbat medium. The power supply (under the board/out of sight) is an V1 Pedal Power unit (the Stymon delay is powered by the shown 24V wall wart).

The signal path is:

1. Godfrey Daniels HubBub Stage Pro
2. SMS Doozy Boost
3. Mu-Tron Micro-Tron IV
4. Guyatone Compresser Sustainer
5. Fulltone Full-Drive 2
6. MXR Phase 95
7. Boss BF-2 Flanger
8. Strymon DIG double delay
9. Visual Sound H20 Liquid Chorus and Echo
10. XTS Pegasus Boost

#171194  by LazyLightning72

Very nice Bill
I really like the hinge feature. Also, I applaud your wiring, I thought mine was somewhat neat looking. After seeing yours, mine looks like a 3 y/o did it.

You have a nice setup as well Jon.

On my SKB 1SKB-PB1712 Injection Molded Pedalboard, Currently my pedals are all connected to a Truetone 1 SPOT Combo. The QTron+ however has its own power supply. It’s worked like this, without issue so far. Part of me wants to look into a nicer unit, especially since there is only 1 spot left on the Truetone for another pedal.

I just bought 20’ of the 3M, to cover the entire top of the board. I also don’t like how my chain is connected, not because it doesn’t work, but it’s unsightly imho. I’m currently using 6” Ernie Ball patch cords.

I have to do some clean up on my wires, before I feel comfortable showing mine.
 #171198  by Jon S.

I know many folks love George L solderless cables. They gave me nothing but trouble, undoubtedly due to my personal assembly lameness, but a man must know his limitations. I switched to these and am much happier now.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ngle-angle

LazyLightning72 liked this
 #171199  by lbpesq

The secret with George Ls is that you have to test them with a continuity checker (I use my multi-meter) when you first assemble them. I probably get it right on the first attempt about 60% of the time. Then you only use them for applications where they will not be moved much, like between pedals on the board. Once I get them assembled and installed correctly, I never have problems. But I would never use George Ls for any application where they get moved, like as a guitar cord.

Bill, tgo
 #171200  by wabisabied

Thanks for giving us a look behind the curtain, Bill.

Interesting info regarding the solderless cables, too. I tried a different brand a few years ago and was really disappointed, so kind of gave up on the idea. Your process of testing while installing, and then keeping them stationary makes a lot of sense.

I recently bought a variety pack of Earnie Ball flat ribbon cables, a more budget version of what Jon uses, and am happy with them. I’d been using the basic Hosa low profile cables for a while without any real issues, but the flat ribbon jacket and narrower profile connectors on these are much easier to work with and keep tidy, especially on pedals with multiple inputs/outputs. Now my board has a mix of the two, but I’ll eventually switch them all to the flat ribbons.
 #171201  by lbpesq

I hadn’t seen the flat ribbon cables before. Pretty cool. It would be nice if they were offered in shorter lengths. My favorite feature of the George Ls is the ability to make them any length you want. There are several other manufacturers that make similar solderless kits: Lava, Planet Waves, Disaster Area, and Evidence Audio SIS, for example. I’ve never used these, so I don’t know how they compare with the George Ls for ease of use.

Bill, tgo
 #171202  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:21 pm I hadn’t seen the flat ribbon cables before. Pretty cool. It would be nice if they were offered in shorter lengths.
3.94 inches is pretty short, Bill. You can see on my board that they have only a small amount of "hangover" between the pedals, not enough to be detrimental to one's sound I believe and certainly not if your guitar has an on-board buffer or your first pedal is buffered.