When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #169474  by PoisonousNutsOH

I have what I think is a pretty basic question but I've never been able to find an answer. Hopefully someone can help out....

Often on tabs you'll come across the notation SN, with some notes after it. For example, the High Time tab here has (SN F# G# A) after some of the verse lines. Can someone explain what this means?

I'm pretty sure it indicates to play those individual notes, but where? Or does it not really matter? An F# played on the first fret of the low E string has a different pitch than F# played on the 11th fret of the G string. That's what's getting me confused about it. Does SN stand for "single note" and if so how do you know where to play or is that just an ear thing?

Thanks!
 #169502  by rugger

As you stated, it's an ear thing.

john in san diego
 #169516  by wabisabied

Yes it appears SN stands for single note.

As for where to play them, it’s generally best practice to play notes within, or as close to, the position you are already in. That’s not absolute, of course, as there may be creative reasons to do otherwise, but if you’re playing the chords in or close to open position, then choose note locations in that area. In this case those SNs are walk-downs (an interesting and probably not accidental irony in a song of this title) to root notes of the chords, so they act as descending tones leading into the chord changes. Play them within/adjacent to the chord positions they lead to. In the case of F# in/near open position, whether that’s on the E, D or e string is up to you, your ear, and what you’re trying to say.