When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #163644  by tcsned

I am a hack at playing jazz but I love doing it. I'm better at Django-style swing stuff but I was playing in an acoustic group that did some more modern jazz stuff - a lot of Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, and this Coltrane tune. It really kicked my ass. I didn't really understand it nor did I spend the time breaking it apart and analyzing it. This video was making the rounds on Facebook last week and got me inspired to try this tune again. I dunno if I'm any more successful at playing it than I was 20 years ago but I think I finally understand it. Coltrane was a genius. Not really Dead related but a great look at improv.

#163645  by Gr8fulCadi

Thanks for posting that. I absolutely love jazz and my wife thinks I’m about 10 yrs older than I am cause it’s all I listen to as of late. I am for ever a Jerry and Grateful Dead fan but jazz guitar is so intriguing to me because it’s so difficult for me to try and be fluent and be able to improvise.

Our local jazz station here in the Chicago area, 90.9fm wdcb is an all jazz station I listen to religiously. Best of all has a Grateful Dead hour every Monday night hosted by David Gans. Win Win!
tcsned liked this
 #163646  by Jimv

Coltrane was awesome! I learn a lot from Miles. I just put on some Miles and try to follow him around the fretboard. That guy knew theory like all getout. Like hanging inbetween unrelated keys... He seemed to find some obscure little misical corners to hang out in. I learn by following him but, no, i cant keep up! Miles leaves me in the dust, just when i think im w him... fun stuff!
tcsned liked this