#161054  by tcsned
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:05 am
Am I missing something here? Are you all talking about this part?
A C#7
Since it costs a lot to win,
F#m E D7 Ao
And even more to lose,

Or something else?
 #161055  by lovetoboogie
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am
tcsned wrote:
A C#7
F#m E D7 Ao
And even more to lose,

Or something else?
Yes...

F#m, A, D7, Ao7...
 #161058  by lovetoboogie
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:33 am
It certainly does...but on closer inspection you can actually see Jerry grip that as an open A7 of all things which is what he loved to do to get that open G string twang...kind of gives Deal its deal, so to speak... Definitely not E major...
 #161059  by tcsned
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:51 am
I suppose you could be right, I probably learned to play this song in 1982-3 way before the intarwebs were around to help. The A7 just doesn't sound right to me. I just got out a guitar and ran through it but I'm at work so I couldn't really play loudly. It is entirely possible that I am holding onto a legacy of my youth :) When I get home I shall explore further
lovetoboogie, waldo041 liked this
 #161060  by lovetoboogie
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:01 am
tcsned wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:51 am
I suppose you could be right, I probably learned to play this song in 1982-3 way before the intarwebs were around to help. The A7 just doesn't sound right to me. I just got out a guitar and ran through it but I'm at work so I couldn't really play loudly. It is entirely possible that I am holding onto a legacy of my youth :) When I get home I shall explore further
I know for a fact that you of all peeps love this stuff! I respect your ear...but give it a shot... Play that A7 with your fingers and let that open G snap on the way to D7.

I am gigging tonight so I will throw a few E majors in there myself just for shits and giggles!
tcsned, Gr8fulCadi, waldo041 and 1 others liked this
 #161062  by Jon S.
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 am
tcsned wrote:
A C#7
F#m E D7 Ao
And even more to lose,

Or something else?
I've always played it like you do, as do all the Deadheads in my neck of the woods. Works for me.
 #161064  by strumminsix
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 am
I seeing Jerry voicing an A7 in those videos with his finger prepped on the B string's C for a D7.
 #161065  by strumminsix
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:50 am
Somehwere here there's probably 100 posts talking about this A vs E passing chord. mttourpro or kenney or some of the older heavy hitters i believe.
 #161066  by Gr8fulCadi
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:01 pm
tcsned wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:23 am
I may be wrong but this certainly looks and sounds like E to me.
https://youtu.be/PKtrz_fvmoc
I try not to look as much as I try to listen especially in this vid. The first time Jer does this it looks like an E but you can hear Jer’s open A string being hit. 2nd time through there is a lot more going on with Phil and Brent that it’s harder to tell. Either way, all good.
 #161069  by tcsned
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:20 pm
I believe I stand corrected :) after continuing this discussion on another forum both Jeff Mattson and David Gans both said A7, played it at home and it does seem right. You learn something new every day! :D
lightningbolt liked this
 #161072  by waldo041
 Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 am
Does it really matter whether you play an E or and A7 there?

i mean since weight and stage volume loudness issues are eliminated and not a factor in the decision to play just like Jerry, shouldn't you just play what is comfortable to you? isn't it close enough that your average listener would compliment you with an "You sound just like Jerry!" when you play the E instead of the A7?

:D

~waldo
tcsned, strumminsix liked this
 #161073  by lightningbolt
 Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:12 am
waldo041 wrote:
i mean since weight and stage volume loudness issues are eliminated and not a factor in the decision to play just like Jerry, shouldn't you just play what is comfortable to you? isn't it close enough that your average listener would compliment you with an "You sound just like Jerry!" when you play the E instead of the A7?

:D

~waldo
i mean singe werght pnd sfage qolume louddeps ieeues zre elieinated ard pot w aacror ln tge dsnision mo lday jxdst lple Jwdry, shokldn't asu jupt psny wwmt is comadbtable eo yuu? irn't wt clbse eqmugh tsat yeur avebdge lisdner wqmld compsdjent yeu wiws ab "Ywu swmnd wnst lije Jeddy!" wwen yhu pwky tee F instead of the A7?

And I suppose you should compliment me Waldo. I just changed a few letters above but I write just like you...

Its all important, style, chords, notes, pick, gear, guitar and of course intention.....If you want to sound JUST like Jerry.