lets the rukind.org users talk about their up and coming gigs
 #168810  by BOUKINATOR

Not playing shows so I've had more time to produce some recordings. Just 4 songs here from July 18. I'd love any feedback on the mix! Hope you enjoy :)

- Jim

https://archive.org/details/fun200718_Kregers
 #168813  by Jon S.

I love the musicianship on all of the songs.

As you asked also for general feedback on the mix, one of the guitars sounds like perhaps it was recorded too "hot" at time. E.g., you can hear it right off the bat on the first cut.
 #168814  by BOUKINATOR

jackevorkian wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:08 am Sounds great. The lead tone is excellent...what guitar is that? Is it recorded direct or is there a preamp?
The guitar panned slightly left is Josh. He usually takes more of the solos so I have his guitar a bit louder. He was playing a Martin D1 through a Radial AC Driver into my Midas M32r board. I'm on the right, Martin X Series direct into the board.

I mixed the multi-track with Reaper but did not have to do much EQing other than getting some low end out of the guitars. Thanks for listening!
 #168815  by BOUKINATOR

Jon S. wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:59 am I love the musicianship on all of the songs.

As you asked also for general feedback on the mix, one of the guitars sounds like perhaps it was recorded too "hot" at time. E.g., you can hear it right off the bat on the first cut.
That's Josh on the left. He usually takes more of the solos so I have his guitar a little louder, but are you saying you're hearing clipping? Or just that it's too loud in the mix? Thanks for listening!
 #168816  by Jon S.

BOUKINATOR wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 amThat's Josh on the left. He usually takes more of the solos so I have his guitar a little louder, but are you saying you're hearing clipping? Or just that it's too loud in the mix? Thanks for listening!
Thank you for posting the clips to listen to!

Yes, I meant that, to my ear, it sounded like there was some clipping going on. Now, clipping your recording device is not necessarily bad, even for acoustic guitars - think Obladi, Oblada - but I thought, if it was happening with your recording, you might consider dialing back the recording level a tad next time. Just a suggestion for your consideration.
BOUKINATOR liked this