#26263  by cold_rain&snow

Used to be heavy into the tape trades of the late 70's through the 90's -- had all tapes stolen from my storage -- all I've got left is CDs from Kazaa and Dick's Picks....what is the new avenue for trading CDs???

#26322  by Rev_Roach

i think its almost all downloading now, not too many people trading physical cd. heres a few websites

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?colle ... field=year - over 2000 shows
http://stash.nugs.net - about 40 or 50 shows i think

http://www.furthurnet.org/index.php - like kazaa but just for legal traded jamband stuff

theres been a few good torrent sites suggested around here that i dont recall right now. i think one is www.speedingarrow.net

#26324  by spacehead333

best bet. buy a external hard drive, find someone else who has hours and hours of dead. ask them to copy, i got 3 hard drives full of shit. probably fastest and best way to do it

#26494  by cold_rain&snow

How do you download from the sites you listed? I clicked on archive and the other site and came up with no pun intended "dead air".

Peace --

#30462  by cold_rain&snow

Thanks for the download site info -- I have scored some gems and can't stay away from my computer!!! My 12 year old son and I are battling for the computer -- sweet shows sweet and easy downloads --

Peace --

Mike

#30490  by Fat Ronald

Thanks for the sites. I go to archive.org to get a lot of shows.

one question for anyone who could help - what is the best way for saving the shows off of archive.org? I usually stream them into Window's Media player, and once they are fully streamed save each song separately - Then import the folder into iTunes. But depending on what time of the day you are doing it, that could take a few minutes per show (even on cable modem). I may just be impatient, but wanted to see if anyone else had a quicker way to store. Thx.

#30498  by Candyman1984

Due to Bobby, the archive only allows the downloading of audience recordings, but there is a website called bt.etree.org which allows the trading of digital files of soundboards. Generally the quality is high and there is a lot of good stuff. However, you need a program called bittorrent, or utorrent, or any of the other torrents. Simply choose the show you want and download it through bittorrent. Make sure there is a good amount of seeders though or it will take a longer time, or not even work. The further down one moves rom the top of the list the less of achance there will be a reasonable amount of seeders. The shows are generally in flac or shn file format, and the show's size is generally in the area of 1 gig. This requires you to convert the files to wav format using a program called switch for windows, or xACT for mac. Once this is done add the files to itunes and convert them to AAC files- the shows size will then be anywhere from 150 to 250 megabytes. Remove the wav versions of the files and send to the tash. Remember, you have to name and order them in itunes for them to play in order. After all this return to the original download folder generally labelled gd69-04-22, or something similar, like gd90-09-18, basically whatever the date of the show was, and delete it. Boom Boom Boom you've got yourself new Grateful Dead shows.

#30503  by cold_rain&snow

Hey now!

How do you get the software to convert flacs or shns?

Google and go or is one brand any better than the rest?

Peace--
CR&S

#30507  by strumminsix

spacehead333 wrote:best bet. buy a external hard drive, find someone else who has hours and hours of dead. ask them to copy, i got 3 hard drives full of shit. probably fastest and best way to do it
Totally agree!
Candyman1984 wrote:Due to Bobby, the archive only allows the downloading of audience recordings
Bullshit and that's been talked to death here and everywhere else. The GD allowed taping & trading. SBD was never allowed & downloading isn't trading. But BT is cuz it's sharing. The corp distributing their live said it's in violation of their agreement. The band was called Bobby and Billy (i think) responded and Phil ignored the call. They did what they did to live up to their contract.

cold_rain&snow wrote:Hey now!

How do you get the software to convert flacs or shns?

Google and go or is one brand any better than the rest?

Peace--
CR&S
I use MKW for SHN & FlacFrontEnd for FLAC.

#30514  by Candyman1984

if you have a mac- xact is the best it works for both shn and flac.
And strumminsix-bob did shut down the access to the boards on archive, i am not saying he was an asshole for doing it, and i understood why, it was a good reeason. i was simply stating where one could get and trade SBD's

#30521  by strumminsix

Candyman1984 wrote:if you have a mac- xact is the best it works for both shn and flac.
And strumminsix-bob did shut down the access to the boards on archive, i am not saying he was an asshole for doing it, and i understood why, it was a good reeason. i was simply stating where one could get and trade SBD's
Sorry for my tone, CM1984 - read it the wrong way. Trust me when I say it was Bobby & Billy and Phil refused to get involved until it was done. The band, as a whole, were awful at business decisions. That hasn't changed.

#30525  by Candyman1984

indeed. mien freund. no hard feelings.